200W MOSFET CFA amp

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I can report to all here that I had this amp design prototyped for myself and recently sent to Asian Audiophile magazine for review and listen and get thier comments on the sound. They said they were able to clearly hear the character of the various preamps they had used it with. :) . Excellent!

What have some of the DIY builders here put into their projects -- money-wise (not counting labor)? Complete with the chassis, HSinks, PS, misc hardware and input/ouput sockets, loaded pcb, OP stage and all?

THx-Richard

Last edited:
:D

Attachments

• DamirMarsh PA.jpg
    DamirMarsh PA.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,074
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I am back in Bangkok, Thailand and I got to listen to the amplifier. I never heard such good pin point imaging and same for the depth... front-back layering. Wow. Amazing.

So realistic sounds. A challenging DIY project but SOTA when you are finished. The combination of CFA, high SR, ultra low distortion and especially that the distortion doesn't change with load Z or freq or power... makes for such accurate imaging and details in reproduction.

You can easily hear the individual differences in sound character of several preamps with this PA.

THx-RNMarsh

By coincident today I was listening to my 100W CFA amps(three channels in each amplifier) driving ORION loudspeakers. The source was one of the best dacs, Benchmark DAC2, directly connected to the analog electronic crossovers, acting as a preamp too.
I can say I am very satisfied with the sound, filling very close to live performance (classical music, as I go on classical concert only and could compare with it only).

Attachments

• ORION via DAC2.jpg
    ORION via DAC2.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 880
I have found some silk screen errors on the 200W CFA VMOSFET printed board, rev. 1.3.2 .
I am so sorry about that, but there no layout errors, just be careful wile inserting some of this components, list below:

200W CFA VMOSFET rev. 1.3.2
Silk scree errors:

D21 rename to D8 and revers
D20 rename to D5 and revers
D23 rename to D20 and revers
D5 rename to D23
D22 rename to D21 and revers
D8 rename to D22
Q9 rename to Q5
Q7 (on the left) rename to Q9 2SC3503

Attached corrected silk screen (board rev 1.3.2b)

Attachments

• 200W CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_3_2b sc msk.pdf
    301.8 KB · Views: 404
Great gets luxury mods

I have found some silk screen errors on the 200W CFA VMOSFET printed board, rev. 1.3.2 .
I am so sorry about that, but there no layout errors, just be careful wile inserting some of this components, list below:

200W CFA VMOSFET rev. 1.3.2
Silk scree errors:

D21 rename to D8 and revers
D20 rename to D5 and revers
D23 rename to D20 and revers
D5 rename to D23
D22 rename to D21 and revers
D8 rename to D22
Q9 rename to Q5
Q7 (on the left) rename to Q9 2SC3503

Attached corrected silk screen (board rev 1.3.2b)

Must-haves and luxury MODS, thanks for all the upgrades. :cool:

I don't have any board at the moment.
Haw many boards do you need? This week, I am out of my house, when I am back I can start new group buy.

Damir

No activity in this thread for some time.
Did anybody build 200W version yet? I am very interested about result and the sound quality.
If there interested parties for 200W version I could start new PCB batch, pleas put your interest here.
Best wishes in this Year to all.
Damir