I want your opinion on an amplifier from the 80s..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, how is everyone?

I am purchasing a 1980s Hitachi integrated amplifier, model HA-6. It is in fine condition and was checked out by a stereo tech.

Has anyone used an amp from this line? It has liquid cooled heatsinks and the front panel says something about being 'optimized for digital recordings'. There is not much info available about this piece, besides that it outputs 100WPC @ 8.

Any information you could provide regarding its design would be appreciated.
Thank you

Does anyone know what Hitachi means by "Pure Drive"?
On the front bezel there is an illuminated Pure Drive emblem and it also states in text, " Pure Drive low impedance volume control circuit ensures optimal signal characteristics for use with digital audio components".
Is this a digital volume control, even though it uses a standard potentiometer?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably marketing speak for compatible with standard red book CD player output levels, the older IHF line level standard at 700mVrms meant in some instances low level circuitry could be overloaded ahead of the volume control (tone amps, tape buffers) by the then new CD player.

I remember making a lot of pads for friends when they got their first cd players.

Does anyone know what Hitachi means by "Pure Drive"?
On the front bezel there is an illuminated Pure Drive emblem and it also states in text, " Pure Drive low impedance volume control circuit ensures optimal signal characteristics for use with digital audio components".
Is this a digital volume control, even though it uses a standard potentiometer?

Hi,

It almost certainly means a low impedance volume pot and
bypassing the linestage for the CD input, "source direct".

It is essentially a passive preamp for the CD input.

rgds, sreten.

Interesting information, thank you.

Having just replaced my speaker wiring to true 12awg bi-wires, and splurging for quality interconnects, this ampli sounds very pleasing to my ear.

It does run pretty warm, so I am careful about not covering the top and not running 4-ohm nominal loads with it. If you press an ear to the top of the case, the sound of the heatpipe cooling is apparent. Luckily it is silent at a distance of 2 feet away.

Wish there were affordable commercial amplifiers built to this level today.
A quick turn of the tone controls and loudness and the thing sounds like it has hundreds of watts available, even though it is 100w.

Apparently it uses bjts but of very good quality...
It shouldnt heat up so much , thoses transistors
only need 50mA to provide good perfs.
7.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I have obtained the service manual for the HA-6 (also known as the "Lo-D HA-505") And there seems to be a misprint in the manual.
It says to set idle current at 6.6mV +/-2.2mV, on each channel's emitter resistors.
I have set it at 7.0mV each side, Does this seem correct? The output devices are complimentary 2SC3280 and 2SA1301 .
Amp sounds fine at the 7.0mV setting.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Considering the specification is 6.6 plus or minus 2.2mV, a setting which is +0.4 mV is just fine.

The problem with measuring the minute voltage with such precision, is in the accuracy capabilities of handheld DMMs and the precision of relevant components in the amp. At an implied resolution of 0.00005V, these determine whether such readings would even be meaningful.

Hi, Mr. Finch, I have verified the readings with a VTVM made by Simpson and my DMM with fresh batteries. However, I meant, the 6.6mV seemed very light for an amplifier with such a large power supply and 100 WPC at 8 ohms. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned 50mA..not sure what voltage that would correlate to.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Bias may be low by today's standards but this was common in the 1980s when most Japanese amps ran quite cool and heatsinks and chassis vents were designed accordingly. 0.22R emitter resistors are apparent in wahab's pic, which indicates ~30mA is the bias or idle current. It would be uncertain what might happen to thermal stability and the temperature inside the case, if bias were raised to say 120 mA, the level for optimum class AB operation of EF design output stages.

I would emphasize keeping to original spec. conditions because the thermal compensation scheme looks unusual too. Hitachi used some odd thermistor arrangements for compensation in their amplifiers of all types, which were not simply controlled with a bias controller/sensor transistor. I don't have the schematic to support this, but in the pic, there do appear to be thermistors located immediately in front of each bias controller transistor on the heatsink mounting plate - that's a sign.

Whatever the popular opinion and desire is to raise bias as matter of principle, I'd consider the likely temperature problems first. Stay with the designed specification unless there is good reason and evidence it will remain thermally stable in use, since nobody needs a smoking amp. For interest, the voltage measured across an output transistor's emitter resistor would need to be increased to 50/30 x 6.6 = 11 mV for 50mA bias current.

I should have simply said earlier that it doesn't matter how good your measuring accuracy is if the emitter resistors plus other circuit resistances are only 5-10% precision. However, as you say, this wasn't your real concern.

Last edited:
Well, if I keep the settings at the factory levels, is 'crossover' distortion going to be apparent, since it is a class-AB design? What I don't understand, is how the manufacturer is able to keep the output sine wave clean from notch distortion if bias current is too low by default.

I have a SEARS labeled dual mono MOSFET power amp that satisfies that criterion.

dave

Had to repair a Sears integrated amplifier imported to Greece god knows where from ( presumably Canada ) and since the amp was pretty neat on the outside the costumer that got it from a scrap yard actually asked for a new toroid 230 wired, full refurbish caps and many more and at the time i thought it didn't worth.

When finished the amplifier kicked me out of my chair , together with scope , generator and spectrum analyzer ...awesome performance , astronomical bandwidth and speed , excellent figures on ch separation and crosstalk and plenty of kick and power ...

At the time i could only put it next to an Accuphase

Kind regards
Sakis

It won't, since this is a quality product from a very serious company.
Specifications
100 Watts * per channel, min RMS, at 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 KHz with no more than 0.005% total harmonic distortion (THD)
105 W/ch + 105 W/ch (8 ohms. 1 KHz T.H.D 0.005% SINUS) 100 W/ch + 100 W/ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 KHz, T.H.D 0.005)
Harmonic distortion (8 ohms)(at 1/2 rated output) 0.005%
Intermodulation distortion (at 1/2 rated output) 0.005%
This is an essentially distortionless amplifier, and like I said good....
It won 5 stars out of 5 in the German version of What Hi-Fi.
Quality parts are used throughout.

You asked for opinion.
Just set the bias precisely to factory value, and enjoy what you have as the maker intended.
By all means play with tweaks like cables and mountings/stands.
If you are keen to experiment, experiment with something else less valuable (sonically).

Dan.

Lowering the bias and injecting square wave 10K will show you what you are looking for .But ! as said from Ian and others elimination of small crossover distortion can and will happen with a bit of bias .

As an amplifier though there is a number of other issues that will effect overall performance far more a bit of crossover distortion ...

Increasing the bias can and will effect thermals so in long time run you will have stability issues ... Keep it as was !!!

A few better capacitors in the signal line and the power supply will make a better amplifier without any thermal issues ... thing about this first ...Work with caution and no extremities....

Kind regards
Sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.