Niles SI-1200 repair advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Co-worker asked if I could take a look at his Niles SI-1200 12 channel amp.
Complaint was noise (low level hum/buzz) on all channels. This amp was installed in a whole house audio system for years and worked great. Story is, there was a great T-storm nearby and the noise issue happened a short time later.

I fired up the amp and immediately sensed that smell. Y'know, that familiar burning resistor stink. Then a small stream of smoke led me to the input sense circuit board before turning off. This amp can power itself on/off by sensing presence of audio on the input. There's a switch to select which auto mode you'd like. The circuit board that contains that switch and circuitry is where the smoke bomb emerged. If indeed this amp was lightning toasted, then I'm not surprised the input sense circuitry is the place compromised.

As there are no schematics, I'm looking for advice for next steps. Especially if anyone has seen this issue. I'm sure I can tear into this and trace out and debug these circuits after some hours, but wisdom is appreciated.

I can see no physical damage anywhere.

Illbay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.