SKA GB150D now public domain...

heatsink very hot

Hi, I'm very happy with the SQ of this amp, but some times when put my fingers on the heatsink, it makes me a little nervous. The main heatsink was about 50-60 C, and the L sharp heatsink attached power MOSFETs to main heatsink was even higher, about 70-80C, can't hold finger for more than 2 seconds. Although the amp seems functioning OK

Is it normal, or should I use a larger heatsink?

Thanks AKSA, fab

My heatsink is about 270 mm long, 75 mm high, about 10mm solid base then 25 mm fins. 130-140 ma bias, +/-50V main PS, my speaker is magnepan MG12, not a easy one

The amp is fine if use lightly, but after intense playing (like a might Mahler's symphony) , the heatsink is too hot to hold a finger, I tried to let it idle for a while, the heatsink then back to normal temperature

It sounds like it's working find, heavy use will certainly generate a lot more heat. Only worry would be if you're driving to some unstable oscillations. For regular heavy use the easiest option might be to increase air flow over the heatsink - maybe it's a case of orientation and positioning - or add a super quiet fan controlled by a temperature sensor.

it depends ....

As long as there is an entry in the case for fresh air, and an exit for warm air, positioning it anywhere that encourages the flow will do.

If the case s big enough by all means put a fan on each heatsink, but that is not necessary. But replacing the warm air generated is what is important, not just blowing it around in a sealed box!

Post a photo of the assembly?

it depends ....

As long as there is an entry in the case for fresh air, and an exit for warm air, positioning it anywhere that encourages the flow will do.

If the case s big enough by all means put a fan on each heatsink, but that is not necessary. But replacing the warm air generated is what is important, not just blowing it around in a sealed box!

Post a photo of the assembly?

I get the idea, thanks