Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

SKA GB150D now public domain...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2020, 04:33 PM   #961
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Here are some specs.
Recommended Supply Voltage: ± 50V
Output power (± 50V regulated, < 1% THD): 150W at 4Ω or 8Ω
Voltage gain: 28
Input sensitivity: 1V RMS for 100W at 8Ω
Input impedance: 27K Ω || 330pf
Load impedance: 4 ohms or 8 ohms
Idle Dissipation: ~11W at ± 50V DC
THD 1kHz, 8 ohms load: 0.025% (100W), ~0.01XXX% Typical
Your voltage is a bit on the high side. Is there a switch to set different ac voltages on your amp?
Old 11th August 2020, 04:49 PM   #962
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplidude View Post
Thanks for your reply bigun.
Yes I saw many opinions regarding setting bias, and I tried with 150 ma per device, couldn't really hear any difference, and heatsink got more hot than good, also when I start it up cold with this high bias setting it draws alot of current in 5 minutes before it stabilizes, I will aim for lower bias and longer lifespan.
I live in north maybe have a flip switch with summer/winter bias .
Thanks again.
Well, I didn’t think the thermal control in Greg’s design was bad, but I certainly improved on it when I redesigned for my clone and with a far better pcb layout than his. (probably why he deleted my posts from his forum and locked the thread without any explanation!).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th August 2020, 05:30 PM   #963
Summitp is offline Summitp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplidude View Post
Here are some specs.
Recommended Supply Voltage: ± 50V
Output power (± 50V regulated, < 1% THD): 150W at 4Ω or 8Ω
Voltage gain: 28
Input sensitivity: 1V RMS for 100W at 8Ω
Input impedance: 27K Ω || 330pf
Load impedance: 4 ohms or 8 ohms
Idle Dissipation: ~11W at ± 50V DC
THD 1kHz, 8 ohms load: 0.025% (100W), ~0.01XXX% Typical
Your voltage is a bit on the high side. Is there a switch to set different ac voltages on your amp?
It does not have a switch to drop voltages for the ac. The transformer is just the Yamaha unit, 630va, and supplied t channels with 120wpc continuous. Looks like actual rail voltage from the yammie schemammie is +-58.3v. so yeah, kind of high.

So I am still quite a newb at this stuff, so maybe you can tell me if I am mistaken here. Higher rail voltages will lead to higher output by virtue of a larger signal. There will be additional heat generated by the higher voltage. If the heatsink/fan are able to control the heat, I should be ok, no? Would I want to make changes to the circuit or bom to account for the higher rail voltages?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11th August 2020, 05:46 PM   #964
diyAudio Member

Well bigun I might just try your version some day, I had some stability issues, oscillation, I think the protection diodes caused it, once I removed them, it went silent, does your iteration have those diodes?
Old 11th August 2020, 06:31 PM   #965
diyAudio Member

I included the protection diodes as they are a good idea and I had no issues with the final version, but I did include RC networks on the gate-drain as dictated by good engineering practice to forestall potential oscillations. I used a tight layout to keep the parts close to the MOSFET’s.

Sometime, I should try cranking the bias again, let ‘em run as hot as my heatsink allows and see how it sounds in case it becomes a contender for a high sensitivity speaker project where Class A would be nice to have, along with the dynamic headroom of switching up into Class B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 37CEAFB9-DB8D-4835-96F4-3A4C8D038122.jpeg (824.4 KB, 201 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th August 2020, 07:13 PM   #966
diyAudio Member

Summit.
I believe you can run it of those rails, an idea could be to insert a capacitance multiplier after rectifier, that would give you very clean DC, and it would lower rails 2 to 3 volts
Old 2nd September 2020, 06:42 PM   #967
diyAudio Member

So, moving forward, I have the boards, and have started stuffing resistors. I need to source a few parts though, and have a couple of questions.

Input transistors, specifically, the c2240bl and a970bl transistors. These are getting difficult to find, and need to be matched. BD ent has them for $3-4 a pop. The thread discussing alternatives for c2240/a970 indicates that the c1845 and a992 transistors are good alternatives. I have a bunch of these. Can these work in this design? If not, do you guys have a good source for finding these in matched pairs? Popular unnamed auction site? (ugh)...

Output mosfets, ideas to source well matched Vgs pairs of p fets and n fets? The p mosfets need to match each other, and the n mosfets need to match each other, it's not about matching complementary pairs. Is this correct?

Thinking about the power supply. I plan on using the transformer from the Yamaha. And given the layout constraints imposed by the heat sink location, I am thinking about creating two capacitor banks, 40,000uf each. Is this adequate for this design, or too high? If I am using two separate banks, I would be setting them up to operate basically as mono supplies (driven by common transformer). So two rectifiers, two capacitor banks, etc. I am learning that AB amplifiers don't necessarily need the CRC layout, and a straight capacitor bank can be used, and I have set my HB up this way. I believe the same would apply here as well, yes?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:18 PM   #968
diyAudio Member

this maybe heresy, but the LTP’s in this amplifier are not at all balanced by design, matching transistors may not be critical. And mismatch produces a bit of 2nd harmonic, most of which will be compensated for by the symmetrical topology - in short, if finding transistors is a struggle, don’t sweat the matching.
Old 2nd September 2020, 07:22 PM   #969
diyAudio Member

Could you post the schematic you're using.
Here's the schematic I used it uses easy and cheap to find jelly beans but with suffix c meaning high Hfe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200902-211950_Drive.jpg (423.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:12 PM   #970
diyAudio Member

My boards are the Jims boards, (I looked for the real deal from Greg Ball, but his site is gone...) So I am going by the schematic and BOM provided by Jims, as posted earlier.
I believe I am after these mosfets IRFP240/9240. The schematic shows the BC parts, but it is called out to use the c2240/a970 transistors.

Thanks guys!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GB150D BC part list v1.1 (2).pdf (58.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf GB150D Sch v1.1 (2).pdf (65.7 KB, 18 views)

SKA GB150D now public domain...Hide this!Advertise here!