SX-Amp and NX-Amp

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here are the detials for the Traxmaker generated Gerber Files.

Note, most PCB houses will be able to select the correct layers without too much fuss if you just submit all the files - they will automatically strip out unused laters etc.

Attachments

• Traxmaker Gerber Files - Info.pdf
    217.7 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
Here are the detials for the Traxmaker generated Gerber Files.

Note, most PCB houses will be able to select the correct layers without too much fuss if you just submit all the files - they will automatically strip out unused laters etc.
@ first glance, the files highlighted are the ones I was looking at. Some of the files are unused layers? I will check more closely tomorrow or next day, thanks. At prototype prices, I can't rely on the PCB house stripping out unused layers, if there is anything at all in the file, like a representation of a mounting hole or a via, or ground, they will make a board with a blank layer (happened before).

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Have you taken a look at some of the Gerber viewers in the links - also very useful for this kind of thing.

Interestingly, I can select the layers that I want to plot in the gerber export dialog box, but it still generates the unselected layers even though they are blank - i.e. no routing on them.

Anyway, any further questions, let me know.

Last edited:
Have you taken a look at some of the Gerber viewers in the links - also very useful for this kind of thing.
I have not had time, but I will. I am using the same free viewer I used on my layout of the through-hole VSSA version for now, and the "empty" layers do not open.

Are the Gerbers 274x?

Are there any changes from the schematic in the PDF, or the BOM?
(trying to find some time to check parts availability in the US)

Do you have any issues pairing the KSC3503D and the KSA1381E in NX amp? I ask b/c the different speeds have come up in the VSSA and PeeCeeBee threads, and because KSA1220AY / KSC2960AY has been proposed as substitute.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/231662-peeceebee-70.html#post3537454

KSA3503E is still available from repair stock and such, but not in distribution, so one can still get complementary parts for a limited time (but not from Mouser or Digikey, and not for long).

Do you have any issues pairing the KSC3503D and the KSA1381E in NX amp? I ask b/c the different speeds have come up in the VSSA and PeeCeeBee threads, and because KSA1220AY / KSC2960AY has been proposed as substitute.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/231662-peeceebee-70.html#post3537454

KSA3503E is still available from repair stock and such, but not in distribution, so one can still get complementary parts for a limited time (but not from Mouser or Digikey, and not for long).

Hi PMI,

I try to do it for TSSA BIGBT HP but was not possible since value from NPN/PNP were to wide from eatch other (double range from memory). I bought some same range from sonnya when he propose them.

Marc

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So, does the difference in hfe matter at all in this case? Are we obsessing about this in the PeeCeeBee thread for nothing :confused: ?

If you can use devices of opposite polarity with similar hFE spreads ( lower or higher within reason), that's the best thing to do. If you can only get devices where there is a big spread in hFE, I don't see that this will cause problems that will be apparent sonically. A far worse thing to do would be to use devices with high Cob. My recommendation is tha you go for it!

What were you thinking of ordering for PCB? Thickness, solder mask, tin or gold solder pads, etc... And price ...

My goal is $10/board, $20/stereo set in small quantity. That was the cost of the boards I made for the through-hole version of VSSA. You can see pics of those in Shaan's PeeCeeBee thread. (I have not had a chance to review the psu yet, I am concentrating on the amp boards for now.)

Those were FR 4, .062” thickness, 1 ounce copper, plated holes, one side silkscreen, two-side solder mask. We also got gold-over lead finish for free, which is very convenient for manual soldering.

The nx-Amp boards boards have cutouts and SMD parts on both sides, so $10 may be optimistic.

I would like to have 2-oz copper, but that takes it out of the scope of something that can be made for a small one-time charge. I think "prototype" lots are normally aggregated, so we get a prix-fix meal, no ordering off the menu, in exchange for a professionally made board... :D

Please review the BOM if you get a chance, and look for any critical parts, or hard to get parts, if necessary I will make a partial kit.

Frankly, I am happy a couple other people are interested, seems like too good an offer from Bonsai to just let pass... I mean, this was obviously designed as a complete product, with manual, power supply, output protection... and you can build it for the cost of a pcb and a bag of parts... hmmmm, :rolleyes:, LOL!

My goal is $10/board, $20/stereo set in small quantity. That was the cost of the boards I made for the through-hole version of VSSA. You can see pics of those in Shaan's PeeCeeBee thread. (I have not had a chance to review the psu yet, I am concentrating on the amp boards for now.)

Those were FR 4, .062” thickness, 1 ounce copper, plated holes, one side silkscreen, two-side solder mask. We also got gold-over lead finish for free, which is very convenient for manual soldering.

I would love the Gold-over lead and 2mm PCB. If there are SMD parts to solder on both sides I would suggest two sided silkscreen.

Price is very good btw.

For parts, would you be offering a no parts version as well?

Thanks
Do

For parts, would you be offering a no parts version as well?
I am only going to kit parts if some prove to be hard to get, so the default is just the board, yes.

I believe Bonsai made the BOM so all the parts can come from Mouser, but I have not reviewed that in detail. So, simplest way is if you review the list yourself, and see if something jumps out at you, enter a few of the p/n on the mouser web site, and see if there are any surprises. If you can get all the parts in one box from one distributor, then there is no reason to make kits.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am only going to kit parts if some prove to be hard to get, so the default is just the board, yes.

I believe Bonsai made the BOM so all the parts can come from Mouser, but I have not reviewed that in detail. So, simplest way is if you review the list yourself, and see if something jumps out at you, enter a few of the p/n on the mouser web site, and see if there are any surprises. If you can get all the parts in one box from one distributor, then there is no reason to make kits.

Yes, I have added the BOM's for both the nx and sx Amps in the back of the documents.