• APEX AX6 Ver.1 Green.jpg
    APEX AX6 Ver.1 Green.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 3,211
  • APEX AX6 Ver.1 PCB.JPG
    APEX AX6 Ver.1 PCB.JPG
    470.8 KB · Views: 3,007
  • APEX AX6 Ver.1.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 812
A little more sophisticated but still retro: 4QD-TEC: Low distortion Audio amplifier
The 4QD-TEC amp has a split power supply and no speaker series cap, so should be used only with a $100 speaker protection circuit, or with disposable speakers. I view the speaker protection circuits everybody quotes on e-bay with the 1 cubic inch disconnect relays as snake oil.
The advantage of the AX6 was the $5 speaker protection circuit. One part, a series speaker capacitor, tends to fail safe (no sound) instead of fail stupid (toasted speaker coils or torn suspension). I view the whole split supply .0000x% distortion quest as a pilgrimage in search of the unicorn. The lowest distortion speakers I've ever owned are 20 db down on 2nd harmonic distortion 52-14khz @ 1 w 1 m. Amp distortions below .1% are probably totally adequate.
Blowing up those $600 each new $300 each lucky break price speakers with a $100 amp is not on my agenda. Fortunately all my bright flash + odor amp mistakes have been made with a tube amp with output transformers, or the dynakit ST120 with an output cap in series with the speaker. I'm restricting the PV1.3k $55 split supply amp to $5 car radio speakers until I design a protection circuit that will break 22 amps @ 170 volts. The one it was shipped with melts the PWB trace to the crowbar triac instead of tripping the circuit breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user