Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Retro Amp 50W Single Supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2018, 05:41 PM   #601
prasi is offline prasi  India
diyAudio Member

1. I think it will be too difficult to find out a reason why particular set up is not working.
My suggestion would be to try a known set up.
If you have a trafo used for some other project like quasi amp, just put in the linear supply and see. let it be giving only 35v or so.. Atleast it will help in seeing if SMPS is causing issues or its something else.
2. try and move the speaker , if its too close

this ofcourse, after taking into consideration and acting upon 44250' suggestion, if the noise is still there.
regards
Prasi
Old 30th July 2018, 11:20 PM   #602
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
WAF. The most critical value in any audio project!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44250 View Post
you also might have neon or other lamp (modern power-saving) at your work desk. I had a lot of trouble finding a reason why I had fat line on my osciloscope - while amp works perfectly stabile and with wide bandwidth. reason was modern power saving light bulb at my work desk,when I removed it and changed for old wolfram light bulb everything was all right. just another guess...
Thanks for your suggestions,

I found this out the hard way twice previously - one time an overhead fluorescent light was inducing noise and another time a $1 usb plug was putting noise onto the ring main!
Old 30th July 2018, 11:24 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi View Post
1. I think it will be too difficult to find out a reason why particular set up is not working.
My suggestion would be to try a known set up.
If you have a trafo used for some other project like quasi amp, just put in the linear supply and see. let it be giving only 35v or so.. Atleast it will help in seeing if SMPS is causing issues or its something else.
2. try and move the speaker , if its too close

this ofcourse, after taking into consideration and acting upon 44250' suggestion, if the noise is still there.
regards
Prasi
Thanks for the suggestions Prasi.

Seems to be the Sony SMPS in this case. I used a bulk SMPS instead of the power brick type and the noise level is substantially lower.

Maybe I can filter the noise off the SMPS otherwise I need to buy $100 transformer and try to find space in the enclosure..
Old 31st July 2018, 03:56 AM   #604
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you shop somewhere other than retailers like Jaycar or Altronics here in Oz, you can save a lot on toroids for linear power supplies. Try RS or Element14 for their occasional runout specials on ratings from 80-250 VA, where I've saved more than 50% overall on several purchases in recent times. The manufacturing quality of even their budget lines is usually better too.

I find a dual 30V linear bench PS almost essential for testing audio gear. There is so much EMI buzzing around the home and neighbourhood these days that it becomes near impossible to test open audio assemblies on the bench. You can buy in many grades and qualities but importing a heavy power supply sure is expensive on airfreight. Get average quality TENMA from E14, RS etc, which is not much better than Ebay's junk but you can save a worthwhile amount even on their economy prices when specials are offered. Watch that the displays may be dim or inaccurate - not all models are created equal.
Old 31st July 2018, 12:42 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions Ian. I'll have to keep an eye out for those sales!

I have a single 0-30v PSU at the moment. I think the ammeter lies though as I was running a JLH board on there which apparently idles at 400mA instead of the expected 1.25A (if the built-in meter is to be believed). Seemed to be putting out more than 400mA worth of heat too..

Retro Amp 50W Single SupplyHide this!Advertise here!