2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

Your command of LTspice is excellent! I admire, for example, how you define all the parameters of an analysis onto the .asc file, command of the table function etc. One can see how your knowledge has developed over time by looking at some of the earlier - now commented - analysis commands. I think if someone takes the time to fully understand this one .asc file of yours and all its analysis commands, that person would be extremely well-equipped for leveraging LTspice for audio design. Some of this stuff isn't that easy to find. (For example - and a basic example - it took me an hour or so just to find the u(x) function and see how it nicely controls which stimulus is in use . Help in the Mac version is woefully inadequate. Tables? Ugh - a long way away for me.) Your .asc is well worth studying in detail.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Oh Thx! I'm learning/using (LT)spice with (very slow) progress now about 4.5 years.
It was my friend Tiroler which inspired me to learn LTSpice as he sent me - once a day - without any warning (!) that the effect is like taking drugs - a working LTSpice simulation "asc" file.
At the same time I was reading from Bob Cordell's excellent book the chapter about simulation - from that day on the LTSpice virus occupied me. :)

BR, Toni

P.S.: log line from my diy-projects svn repository:
r237 | astx | 2012-11-24 12:11:46 +0100 (Sam, 24. Nov 2012) | 1 line
astx - add simulation directory

Thanks for the (here well known) links.
I can't exactly remember what the decision was to use the Tian probe. Maybe because the Middlebrook method wasn't direction independent and the GFT probe needed 3 simulation runs instead of 2 simulation runs compared to Tian's method. As you know I found a method for a simple parameter stepping during using of the tian which makes it more versatile. ;)

BR, Toni

Hi Toni,
Some time ago in other thread I tried to explain to B. Cordell that the method with high impedance inductor is useless to get Loop Gain plot for some kind of amplifiers and used compensation. The same is valid for Middlebrook method.
Attached are four LGs, for VFA were the Middlebrook produces acceptable error, but for CFA (in this case my CFA) is completely useless.
Damir

Attachments

• VFA Tian.jpg
    VFA Tian.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 529
  • VFA Middlebrook.jpg
    VFA Middlebrook.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 503
  • CFA Tian.jpg
    CFA Tian.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 495
  • CFA Middlebrook.jpg
    CFA Middlebrook.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 484
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi Toni,
Some time ago in other thread I tried to explain to B. Cordell that the method with high impedance inductor is useless to get Loop Gain plot for some kind of amplifiers and used compensation. The same is valid for Middlebrook method.
Attached are four LGs, for VFA were the Middlebrook produces acceptable error, but for CFA (in this case my CFA) is completely useless.
Damir

Hi Damir,

could you post your asc file of your last loopgain sim which was broken - from the right most picture?

Thx in advance,
Toni

Hi Damir,

could you post your asc file of your last loopgain sim which was broken - from the right most picture?

Thx in advance,
Toni

I think I posted my .asc files for different CFAs in my CFA tread, but it' here again. You have 200W version boards.
BR Damir

Attachments

• dadomodels.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Cordell-Models.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 100W-VMOSFET-efVAS-RC-33-0_47u-OIC-DCservo- VDMOS ksubthres models-Vbe_red-zeners before-drivers.asc
    21.8 KB · Views: 118
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Oh, just replace Tian with Middlebrook. I don't use Middlebrook for long time now, and just temporary used it for this demonstration.

Here "Middlebrook" voltage gain probe is working with acceptable results.

BR, Toni

Attachments

• dadod_middlebrook_cfa_works.png
    dadod_middlebrook_cfa_works.png
    105 KB · Views: 480
  • 100W-VMOSFET-efVAS-RC-33-0_47u-OIC-DCservo- VDMOS ksubthres models-Vbe_red-zeners before-drivers.asc
    22.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Here "Middlebrook" voltage gain probe is working with acceptable results.

BR, Toni

Hi Toni,
I've found very strange thing now. Before, when I used Middlebrook I always used net name (in this case on the left side of the probe) A. You used XX and result is OK with it, so I tried A and got wrong result, I used B wrong result, used C and it's OK. Try this, it's very strange and I don't see explanation at the moment, maybe you can see.
A was OK with my VFA, strange.
Thanks
Damir

edit: I see it now, I used A and B in other network positions, and that confuse the LTspice.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
SA2014 heatsink simulation

... a first try to use LTSpice for heatsink simulation.
The calculated values correspond very good to real world measurements (light green lines on picture) done yesterday evening.

X-Axis : minutes (not seconds)
Y-Axis: degree celsius (not volts)

After 2 hours the room gets warmer too - we could add V_ambient sweep here ...

BR, Toni

P.P.S.: Stay tuned (...next week we will start the "SA2014 alternative facts" tour ;))

Attachments

• sa2014_heatsink_thermal_simulation.png
    sa2014_heatsink_thermal_simulation.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
This means you are going to invent the Trumpalizer amp then?
I have only unspecific ideas what the main features of this amplifier could be:

• 48" height and speaker connections only inside?:cool: galactical SNR level as a result of no sound output possible
  • no current from outside country
  • only parts from this specific country
  • need to fly to this country to build it, but first need to give them all my passwords :no: (why? AFAIK they already have all my personal data)
:D:spin::D

BR, Toni

I have only unspecific ideas what the main features of this amplifier could be:
  • 48" height and speaker connections only inside?:cool: galactical SNR level as a result of no sound output possible
  • no current from outside country
  • only parts from this specific country
  • need to fly to this country to build it, but first need to give them all my passwords :no: (why? AFAIK they already have all my personal data)
:D:spin::D

BR, Toni

It needs to be ten metres (about eleven yards) high, and the input signal is charged by a tax of 30%.

Best regards!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
SA2014/SA2015/SA2016 power supply ...

Today got new pcb samples and 5 pin lytics. Unfortunately there is a BIG mistake in all the 5 pin layouts :eek:

Unfortunately I have erroneously mirrored the pcb layout of the 5 pin lytics. Need to rework all 4 pcb types. The ordered samples can still be used for all other kinds of 4 pin and 2 pin lytics. 5 pin can also be used if you cut off pin A ... Grmmml Aaaaaargh :eek::confused::mad::(:rolleyes::):eek::p:D:rolleyes::happy2:

During design phase I always have had a 5 pin lytic in front of me but sometimes one can't see the wood because of so much trees ...
Grmmml Aaaaaargh :eek::confused::mad::(:rolleyes::):eek::p:D:rolleyes::happy2:

Corrected pcb versions will follow the next days... but first I have to make sure there are no other errors on the pcb.

BR, Toni

Attachments

• powersupply_pcb_wrong_5pin_layout.jpg
    powersupply_pcb_wrong_5pin_layout.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 554