PeeCeeBee

The populated V2.

Assembling was easier than I expected, and the assembled board looked also somewhat better than expected.

FET legs bent at 5mm from case and that's it. The VAS trannies are standing instead of lying because I like them that way (and because I have only metal washers now.) :eek:

Anyways, nice huh?
Looks cool. Very nice...

And here are some traces of the V2. All done into 10R load with +/-35V PS, zobel disconnected. VAS bias ~5mA. Offset is very responsive of trimmer control and stays once set.

Pic 1 - 1KHz response
Pic 2 - 1KHz moderate clipping
Pic 3 - 1KHz heavy clipping
Pic 4 - 16KHz square response
Pic 5 - 16KHz 80nS rise time input squarewave measured at 25VPP output. (as in V1.1)

Somewhat surprisingly, the V2 looks faster than V1.1 with about 70V/uS SR with the same PS, input RF shunt and Cdom values though the VAS bias is half, gate resistors and total capacitive load at VAS output is double :confused:. I desoldered the film caps from the rails but that didn't make it go slow. My bet is that the MJEs are playing the role better than the BDs.

Coming later - distortion performance.
Stay tuned ;)

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 819
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 776
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 764
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 753
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 748
And here are some traces of the V2. All done into 10R load with +/-35V PS, zobel disconnected. VAS bias ~5mA. Offset is very responsive of trimmer control and stays once set.

Pic 1 - 1KHz response
Pic 2 - 1KHz moderate clipping
Pic 3 - 1KHz heavy clipping
Pic 4 - 16KHz square response
Pic 5 - 16KHz 80nS rise time input squarewave measured at 25VPP output. (as in V1.1)

Somewhat surprisingly, the V2 looks faster than V1.1 with about 70V/uS SR with the same PS, input RF shunt and Cdom values though the VAS bias is half, gate resistors and total capacitive load at VAS output is double :confused:. I desoldered the film caps from the rails but that didn't make it go slow. My bet is that the MJEs are playing the role better than the BDs.

Coming later - distortion performance.
Stay tuned ;)
Nice!!
Waiting for V2 PDF:):)

Had a listen to the newborn V2 for a couple hours after the scope tests.

Result -
I couldn't find any difference in sonic quality from the V1.1
It sounds just as beautiful as a PeeCeeBee. I expected the highs to be a bit muted. But no, the whole spectra is there, bottom to top!!!

Cheers!

Hi ljufa.

Running this amp in class-A will bring no audible benefit. My experience with LatFETs and high bias is that they sound no different from ~200mA onward, at least in this amplifier.

An SE implementation is different, and changing of bias has a huge effect on THD, both measurable and audible. That said, the typical HEXFETs like IRFP240 sound better than 2SK1058 at 1.5A bias in an SE amp.

Hi,

Hi SG.

I agree a regulated cap-multiplier is the best choice, however it is not essential IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into the protection circuit.

For V2 boards a 400VA 40V-0-40V toroid (+/-56V rectified) per channel will do. Power at 8ohm is 160W.

The MOSFETs are available for Rs.250/- a piece.

Thanks a bunch for the reply,Thank you for considering my request ! Will have to try and get the board myself then,hmmmm........

Yesterday I went to the local market but unfortunately none of them had the mosfets in stock,they've asked for a day or two.So will check again and even then if not available will either ask you or look for a substitute.

If I have to use alternatives what are the best options ?? I have a bunch of IRFP460 with me,Will something like that work ?? Or even a better sounding options then 2SK1058 & 2SJ1620??

Now, the sound.

My main system is totally PeeCeeBee V1 based and after 2years of living with it I still can't find the next better thing soundwise. The sound is open, clean and transparent in their production without fatigue and the tested V1.1 board has the same quality with much lower noise/hum.

Ok,what are the other Amps you've compared to V1 ??? Like I said I just finished AX-14 and would love to see how this fares with that ?

Regards.

Yesterday I went to the local market but unfortunately none of them had the mosfets in stock,they've asked for a day or two.So will check again and even then if not available will either ask you or look for a substitute.

Feel free.

If I have to use alternatives what are the best options ?? I have a bunch of IRFP460 with me,Will something like that work ?? Or even a better sounding options then 2SK1058 & 2SJ1620??

IMO devices don't sound, the topology does. You can have the K1058/J162 pair sound both great and awful depending on how they are driven.

If you absolutely can't get these mosfets then try to see if you can get BUZ901P/BUZ905P pair or ECX10N20/ECX10P20 pair (expensive). These should work without problem.

Ok,what are the other Amps you've compared to V1 ??? Like I said I just finished AX-14 and would love to see how this fares with that?

I sold all my previous amplifiers coz PeeCeeBee sounded better than each one of them (in my system, to my ears (danger: extremely subjective opinion(don't trust other people's ears))).
I won't name any, coz all the best amplifiers sound exactly the same while driving the same speakers.

;)

The truth is that i haven't listened all my amplifiers in comparison.
Today I took care doing this.
I listen the PeeCeeBee (old vers.) in comparison with VSSA pmi vers.
A record player ,a phono preamplifier(Elektor Supa,bc550c,560c),an Elektor line preamp.(ne5534) and the VSSA or PeeCeeBee.
It is the first time that i listen the difference.
Shaan's PeeCeeBee is the winner, i'm absolutely sure for this.;)
Now i listen what already was measured here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/270418-vssa-pmi-version-vs-peeceebee-shaan-version.html

Last edited:
Hi Thimios,

I have done this many times. They are both in my stack of amps that are used in my A/B setup. The only difference that I hear is that the PMI version has slightly more noise when there is no input. Could just be a wiring issue. The peeceebee is Jason's layout for TO3's. That one is dead quiet. Both have Mr evil cap multipliers.

Hi Thimios ,
thanks for the feedback, how peeceebee compares with other best amplifiers you have made or heard , just out of curiosity as i have do not have that privilege , and looking forward to terrys opinion too as he done most best amp here and reading all his posting he is subjectively very objective

Hi,

IMO devices don't sound, the topology does. You can have the K1058/J162 pair sound both great and awful depending on how they are driven

Well although it's very true in general but I beg to differ, I have heard the same Amp with two different transistors and they both sounded different. I absolutely have no intention to stir a controversy here or get into an argument of any sort,These are purely my observation based on several Amps that I have repaired and have had a chance to analyse.

If you absolutely can't get these mosfets then try to see if you can get BUZ901P/BUZ905P pair or ECX10N20/ECX10P20 pair (expensive). These should work without problem.

Thanks will look and revert back.Not looking at expensive as I do have some plans to make a stereo and a multi-channel Amp (so with so many devices to buy it has to be affordable).

I sold all my previous amplifiers coz PeeCeeBee sounded better than each one of them (in my system, to my ears (danger: extremely subjective opinion(don't trust other people's ears))).

Ok great, Cause currently Am looking for a reference class Amp to test and tune my speakers (DIY speakers and cables are my specialty).

I won't name any, coz all the best amplifiers sound exactly the same while driving the same speakers.

I myself have heard all the Amps that one can imagine,Right from a battery powered Amp (Touted as the holy grail ) to a gain clone to a My Ref ultimate with Blackgates and what not (Assembled many of them for my friends), So can say with certain clarity that to me each sounded differently and was noway same or similar (with everything being exactly same and only the change being the Amp),But yes indeed its very subjective but do like to know irrespective of that !

Btw can you please PM the price for the boards,I so far have to got that info.

Regards.

Last edited:
I myself have heard all the Amps that one can imagine,Right from a battery powered Amp (Touted as the holy grail ) to a gain clone to a My Ref ultimate with Blackgates and what not (Assembled many of them for my friends), So can say with certain clarity that to me each sounded differently and was noway same or similar (with everything being exactly same and only the change in Amp),But yes indeed its very subjective but do like to know irrespective of that !

Build one of these. A-B Box For Amplifier Comparisons

Once you have used it you may/likely will be singing a totally different tune.

...I have heard the same Amp with two different transistors and they both sounded different. I absolutely have no intention to stir a controversy here or get into an argument of any sort,These are purely my observation based on several Amps that I have repaired and have had a chance to analyse...

You have my respects.

Btw can you please PM the price for the boards,I so far have to got that info.

I will in a couple of days.

Thanks
shaan

Hi friends.

Today I measured the real world output impedance of the V2 amplifier board. Below are the traced value of the positive peak of a 1khz sine into 9.91ohm resistor load, mesured at amp output terminal.

Unloaded voltage = 4.97V

Loaded voltage = 4.96V

So ouput impedance Zo = 9.91(4.97-4.96)/4.96 = 0.01997ohm or ~0.02ohm

So with an 8ohm load we get a damping factor of 400 (if it really matters) :D

Cheers
shaan

Here are the V2 1KHz distortion measurements done into 10R resistive load. VAS bias is 4mA and total OP stage bias 60mA.

Pic 1 - 3VPP
Pic 2 - 10VPP
Pic 3 - 30VPP
Pic 4 - Audio range frequency response

A bit of surprise, THD is less than the V1.1 at lower power levels. I don't match the FETs, only the input and VAS. Again, it seems the MJE trannies are better than the BDs when THD is considered. But the noise grass is higher with the MJEs, though the amplifier under test is DEAD silent at the speaker.

And about the FR curve, the attenuation in the lower and higher octaves are the artifacts of the soundcard's internal FR limitations. As can be seen, the response is flat.

Cheers!
shaan

Attachments

• V2 1K 3VPP.jpg
    V2 1K 3VPP.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 676
  • V2 1K 10VPP.jpg
    V2 1K 10VPP.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 677
  • V2 1K 30VPP.jpg
    V2 1K 30VPP.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 658