Epcos Sikorel slew rate expectations and big Metalized Film Cap bypass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
observing the other threads about the epcos sikorel its said that these caps are really fast and has slew rate above 100v/us I couldnt get it as is it just the charging time?

what values of film capacitors recommended for fast operation.

I have 4.7uf/400V Metalized polypropylene capacitors can I use them at psu filtering along with the big caps?
I read somewhere that using the metalized cap will kill the output stage and burn out the mosfets or transistors at output does it happen?

how is the slew rate of the psu capacitor calculated?

even Halcro amplifier uses Sikorel at its supply its hardly seen any good amplifier company using expensive caps at psu. There should be solid reason behind using sikorel at the supply.

Bigger caps are better.

observing the other threads about the epcos sikorel its said that these caps are really fast and has slew rate above 100v/us I couldnt get it as is it just the charging time?

what values of film capacitors recommended for fast operation.

I have 4.7uf/400V Metalized polypropylene capacitors can I use them at psu filtering along with the big caps?
I read somewhere that using the metalized cap will kill the output stage and burn out the mosfets or transistors at output does it happen?

how is the slew rate of the psu capacitor calculated?

even Halcro amplifier uses Sikorel at its supply its hardly seen any good amplifier company using expensive caps at psu. There should be solid reason behind using sikorel at the supply.

In my humble opinion :innocent: bigger caps would have a better slew rate than smaller ones as they have a lot more energy to help sustain the voltage than smaller ones which would drain their energy quicker.

If you want good sound quality then use bigger capacitors with low impedence. I would recommend using 4 x 10,000 uF (ten thousand microfarad) electrolytic capacitors for dual rail with two capacitors on each rail for a medium powered amplifier such as a gainclone. Instead of using the 4.7uF polypropylene (which is too low in value to be of any good) use 100nF polypropylene capacitors after the big caps on each rail. With this configuration you will get rock solid bass and very low ripple from the power supply giving you a much cleaner sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.