2SA1215 2SC2921, identify genuine and fake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Q: How to identify genuine and fake?
A: Currently 2SA1215/2SC2921, fake (Chinese copy) transistor from the appearance has been very difficult to distinguish. but there are three ways to try, this is just my personal experience, does not mean all:
1, Weight: genuine 2SA1215 or 2SC2921 the weight is approx 18.4 g (see SanKen datasheet, I have verified 20 PCS, is 18.4 ~ 18.5 g), but Chinese copy is 15.5 g.
2, Dissect: genuine is two layers of metal heat sink, but Chinese copy is one. see the following pictures.
3, Test: genuine 100% ~ 120% load output is good, fake 60% load output is broken.​

Q: Sanken has been discontinued 2SA1215 and 2SC2921?
A: Some friends say Sanken has been discontinued 2SA1215 and 2SC2921, about the information I asked Sanken agents, until today(31st-January-2013) has not been discontinued 2SA1215 and 2SC2921, about these you can contact SanKen or arents, or visit SanKen website.​

Q: Why the transistor surface dust?
A: This is the anti-static powder, rather than dust.
2SA1215-2SC2921Y-1.jpg

2SA1215-2SC2921Y-3.jpg

2SA1215-2SC2921Y-6.jpg

My genuine SanKen transistors:
2SA1215-2SC2921Y-4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
.... I have written this article and I have tried my best to give all related details....Thanks.
You have omitted the most important detail about these premium and unique Sanken audio transistors. They are LAPT type and quite different in their chip construction (there are multiple discrete transistors on the chip) to other audio transistor types like ring emitter, perforated emitter and even the honest copies by reputable manufacturers like ISC. They perform much better and really sound better than just about anything else.

I think we would agree that no fake is acceptable but when you mention that copies of transistors are OK, I think it is an empty statement if you refer to anything other than standard industrial types. High quality, premium audio parts are unmistakably better performing and well worth the higher price that a manufacturer like Sanken asks.

It needs not be fake made in China. It can also be offspec devices. Reliable makers of hifi amps do not order for ex 2SAxxxx but they order a specification. Their specification and the semiconductor manufacturer has to meet that if not it is more or less scrap and is sold for almost nothing to particular wholesale dealer in HongKong etc who just sell these as originals

It needs not be fake made in China. It can also be offspec devices. Reliable makers of hifi amps do not order for ex 2SAxxxx but they order a specification. Their specification and the semiconductor manufacturer has to meet that if not it is more or less scrap and is sold for almost nothing to particular wholesale dealer in HongKong etc who just sell these as originals
Fake 2CA/2SC aren't out of spec original units,they are absolutely different things.
Cheap toys.:skull:

Exactly thimios. I have twice ordered what appear to be genuine Sanken 2sa1295/2sc3264 from AliExpress. Sellers picture is almost certainly of genuine Sanken but what they send is FAKE. Sanken 2sa1295/2sc3264 are becoming hard to find and are never cheap to buy since they are high power high quality obselete parts. Good luck if you need to make up matched parallel banks of NPN & PNP. Fortunately I opened a dispute on both occasions and was awarded full refund without returning the fake parts.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.