Studio 350 construction thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi every one

Please find my build thread of my studio 350 power amplifier; I will post various pics of the build through the stages to final completion.
I have taken feedback from my other builds to include all through holes use grommets and all high voltage areas sleeved and double insulated etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the tiger is my motif (jamesfeline) and the eyes light up when the amplifier is on, newer designs will include the option that they change colour when the amplifier gets hot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The above pic shows my power control module, this contains all the various fuses and the delay antisurge board for the transformer. The pcb is copper claded underneath and earthed etc.

The above pic shows the modded velleman speaker protection module, this area has been modded since this photo, I will upload the new pics tonight

The above pic shows the main power amp pcb being offered into postion, also only showing one main psu cap at the moment, this version of the studio 350 will be a light version as I started to run out of room for every thing. The transformers is 500va .. at a later date I will make a full blown version if I am happy with the sound of this one

I will upload some more photos tonight

regards]

Nick

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

Some more photo's

the above photo shows both res caps fitted and the modded velleman protection module

The below photo shows the rear .. less is more ... I have used a heavey duty Neutrek connectors for power and speaker. I have included a earth lift switch for the Ov rail (dont worry the chassis is earthed) also to note that this is a monobock so one more to make after this.

regards

Nick

OK.

Looks fine anyhow.

I am about to complete an order for an enclosure for my GM-clone.
And have some ideas of how i should "decorate" the frontpanel.
That is, until I saw Your. The Tiger is also my own avatar, given to me by a very good friend some years ago.
But no fear, I will not copy You. I have still some respect for others work.

Must look around now for some alternatives. Norwegian Forest Cat perhaps? :)

Good Morning,
compliments for this amplifier!!!
I need an information. i would like build this amplifer, bat i dont know the exactly number of wire of L1 6,8 uH (inductor output). Can you help me?
The information that i need are:
1) number of wire
2) copper wire diameter (i suppose 1mm square...correct?)
3) internal diameter of the inductor (i suppose about 1,5 cm, but is only my imagination!).
thank you in advance
Best regards
Gianfranco

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Silicon Chip design specified a P26 Potcore bobbin as this was a convenient coil former. This size bobbin results in coils of approx. 13 ID x 11 L. However, this is uncritical and coils of 10 - 16 length would not make a great difference. If you want to calculate and make a coil of other dimensions, use the multilayer coil calculator here for a value of 6.8uH: http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm

images

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
It sounds very good for the class of amplifier. That is, a high quality small PA amp. It certainly isn't a polite little black box for domestic level, audiophile listening but on the other hand, it's wasted as a general purpose amp that might be destined for small discos, clubs or band gigs.

When the project was introduced, the magazine published a pic or two of how some constructors finished it, which was clearly for PA, but seemingly a cut above head-banging noise quality, as promoted. The design is unashamedly the same "balanced VAS" design derived from Hitachi's Mosfet app. note dating back to 1979 and used in many EA and Silicon Chip DIY projects until more recent times, showing how adaptable and stable it is.

Speculating, I made just one of these amplifiers and it sold quickly after a demo to a guy who wanted something very good for use in movie sound post-production. I thought about building more but people look at larger amps mainly on a bangs/buck comparison and a nominal rating of 200W/8R can be done cheaper now, in several ways.

I would be looking to use it in large rooms with big speakers that may not be very efficient. I haven't tried it of course, but awful loads like Magneplanar speakers and similar low impedance drivers might be on the list of applications. Just an opinion, though ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.