Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

A501 / Z501 Luxkit Amplifier schematic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2019, 08:29 AM   #111
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Working through the posts...

The only result that mattered was the behaviour of the amp with pin 7 grounded. It seems like doing this did indeed change the behaviour (which is good) but what we really needed was the voltage check of offset.

You could do that by anticipating that the click was the speaker relay connecting correctly and so wiring the meter across the speaker sockets and seeing what happened.

This result is a big step forward though and hopefully shows the main amp is basically OK. The circuit also seems to show a single LED, not a bi-colour type.

---------------------------------

Discharging caps. Normally the circuit itself will do that. Just check to make sure there is no high voltage across them. Anything under a couple of volts is OK to begin working on the amp. To manually discharge a large cap use a resistor appropriate to the voltage. A 4k7 2watt carbon type should cover most situations on solid state stuff.

-----------------------------------

The shiny green is a mask which we call solder resist. The board still looks like a phenolic resin type to me and will have a distinct smell as you solder on it. The discolouration in response to long term heat is perfectly normal though.

The soldering looks pretty much par for the course tbh. Look at the last pictures in post #1 here which show the kind of thing to be aware of. Some of those joints on your board look very suspect but I would beware at this stage of doing more remedial work... try and diagnose and fix the issue at hand first.

Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

-----------------------------

The cap marked 471 is a 470pF polystyrene type. Its 4 and 7 and then 1 zero as the multiplier. 473 would be 47,000pF or 47nF (nano) or 0.047uF.

------------------------------

So where next

Well I guess you have to replace that opamp and also clean the top area of the board around the opamp gently. The voltage you measured on pin 7 earlier is the one thing I have doubts over... because I would have expected it to be stuck more toward the supply rail than an indeterminate voltage.

That doesn't change anything as far as we are concerned, its just a case of,

1/ Is the opamp alone genuinely faulty? It would still be last on my list of suspects tbh.

2/ Is the problem contamination on the top of the board affecting the high impedance circuity of the opamp? This means replacing the opamp may well fix the issue as contamination is automatically burned off and removed.

3/ Is the problem one of the passive parts around the opamp. It happens, however unlikely.
Old 16th March 2019, 12:37 PM   #112
druidaudio is offline druidaudio  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONDEKNZ View Post
@druidaudio

Can you confirm what the normal "PLAY" state of the Control Console LED is on your Z501 please? Is it solid red? Or does it turn solid green?
I no longer have my Z501, so cannot check and don't remember, but the manual says it should go from blinking red to continuous, so I assume this is also red?
Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Old 16th March 2019, 08:57 PM   #113
SONDEKNZ is offline SONDEKNZ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Seems like SOLID RED LED = "PLAY"...

Thanks DRUIDAUDIO. No drama.

By all accounts, it seems like a solid red LED = "PLAY".

I have several different amps, so I can't quite recall either.

Let's just see how it plays out...

A501 / Z501 Luxkit Amplifier schematicHide this!Advertise here!