Back to Back Polarized Electro's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought that if you wanted to make a bipolar out of two back-to-back polarized electrolytics that you connected the negs to each other, and the positives to the outside..

device > + - - + > device

However, working on a few old amps where they have the positives together, and the negs to the outside...

device > - + + - > device

Perhaps it doesn't matter. Is that the case?

To me, thinking about the workings of back to back or nonpolar 'lytics (same thing) is like thinking about how sausages are made or politicians do their thing. Whatever is supposed to happen sorta does, even though the hidden details are fairly gruesome. So connecting the pluses vs the minuses to make a nonpolar probably works equally unwell. If you want to improve the situation, try adding a low current dc bias (through a highish value series resistor) in excess of the peak value of the signal to be passed to the tied together node of the 'lytics.

Nonpolarized electrolytics

It doesn't matter whether the + terminals join or the - terminals join. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. I either case one of the caps will be reverse biased and will look lie a low impedance so the voltage will dropn across mthe capacitor that is seeing the correct polarity.

I should try proofreading my massages!

It doesn't matter whether the + terminals join or the - terminals join. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. In either case one of the caps will be reverse biased and will look like a low impedance so the voltage will drop across the capacitor that is seeing the correct polarity.

Cyril Bateman talked about al electros in his "Capacitor Sound" series in Electornics World mag last year, with a recent amp re-cap distortion measurement follow up just this month

basically he claims the thin spontaneous film on one electrode in a polar cap causes large distortion, for lowest distortion he recomends bipoalr electros which are made with full thickness oxide on both foils, further lowering V stress on the oxide by series connecting bipolar electros is his strong recomendation for lowest distortion in large value cap applications

In plain English

jcx said:
Cyril Bateman talked about al electros in his "Capacitor Sound" series in Electornics World mag last year, with a recent amp re-cap distortion measurement follow up just this month

basically he claims the thin spontaneous film on one electrode in a polar cap causes large distortion, for lowest distortion he recomends bipoalr electros which are made with full thickness oxide on both foils, further lowering V stress on the oxide by series connecting bipolar electros is his strong recomendation for lowest distortion in large value cap applications

I think what he's trying to say is I'm right. If you're really worried about it drop $5 and buy some Sanyo SG Series Os-Con caps.

http://www.bdent.com/

EchoWars said:
I thought that if you wanted to make a bipolar out of two back-to-back polarized electrolytics that you connected the negs to each other, and the positives to the outside..

device > + - - + > device

However, working on a few old amps where they have the positives together, and the negs to the outside...

device > - + + - > device

Perhaps it doesn't matter. Is that the case?

HiEchoWars,
Better use bipolar electrolytics if you have to use elco's.:cool:

Using two 'lytics instead of a nonpolarized can be OK, but sometimes it helps to quasi polarize the cap's towards the respective power rail by a resistor, -- if + is the common mid point, tie it to the positive supply rail by a 10-50K resistor...
Electrolytics performs better when polarized correctly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.