Nakamichi SR-4A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine recently gave me a nak SR-4A. I had it cleaned at a local repair shop and it sounds awesome. I have my audio equipment in a hall way closet where all my home speakers terminate. The problem I have is due to lack of ventilation the unit get hot and will shut off after a couple of hours. I put a small box fan in the closet to blow across the Nak and I have no problems playing it for hours. My question is; can a case fan for a computer be installed to help keep my receiver cool? If so how can this be accomplished? Thanks for the help.

Installing a fan into the nak itself is not gonna do any good if theres not enough natural convection going on as the hot air doesent have anywhere to go, your better off modifying the closet to allow for natural convection cooling.

Also if possible, put the amp on top of the "stack" if you have more than one unit.

Nak SR-4A

I purchased this receiver because I had a friend that had one years ago that sounded incredible. I am currently using it for my Magnepan SMGc speakers I have set up in my bedroom for stereo only. Since the Maggies are 4 ohms, I decided to get a fan to suck out excess heat. At $25 this fan is a bargain! Heat is a major amp foe over time.

Not sure if my Nak tuner works. I haven't tried it.

awesome Nak receivers...

I sold the SR-X seies of Naks when they were new and had yearned for one until I found one that I could afford. I ended up with an SR-2A, the baby (35 watts/channel). However in my experience all SR-2As used the universally bad spring clips. Mine showed up with some very poor binding posts, which I changed over to something better before I listened to it (this could have been a late production unit).

A few years ago I had a correspondance with Nelson Pass who stated he thought that Nakamichi had done a good job implementing the STASIS technology into the receivers and amplifiers. All are quite musical and although not the best absolute transparency, they are a joy to listen to. I am glad I was able to find one.

The tuners are nothing special. The strengths are in the amplifier portions in the receivers. Even the ST-7 (mak's top tuner at the time) were criticized for being quite expensive for the performance. I know that my SR-2A needs a good external FM antennae to get reasonable reception (quite unlike my Tivoli Model One).

Now if I could get hold of an OMS-3 or better, and can hot-rod that...

Local folklore is that the tuners mostly fail and the essential chip is no longer available. I have one SR-3A with a factory refurbished sticker that still has a functioning tuner; the other two, no. Tuners come along; my current favorite is an ADC with the Schotz circuit. 5 bucks at the thrift store. Only relevant if you live in a zone with many choices on FM, which is my good fortune.

I sold the SR-X seies of Naks when they were new and had yearned for one until I found one that I could afford. I ended up with an SR-2A, the baby (35 watts/channel). However in my experience all SR-2As used the universally bad spring clips. Mine showed up with some very poor binding posts, which I changed over to something better before I listened to it (this could have been a late production unit).

I sold the Nak RE series in the mid-90's. My SR-4A has round plastic binding posts but not 5 way. They won't accept spades or bananas. I just bought a 6 ft pair of AQ Midnight 2 for bi-wire with my Maggies and found out no can do with the bananas. I am going to have to order a set of 5-way posts and replace the ones on the Nak. Any suggestions for binding posts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.