Vintage Toshiba 330 power amp problem, possible repair?

Thank you.
If I can find a diffused blue diode that's rated for 14v could I use that without a resistor?
Sorry for all the questions I'm not too savvy when it comes to leds and the sort. My first time trying, normally I would just replace it with like for like but with this I believe the blue would suit it well.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You would have to study the circuit but if the 8V AC is from a winding on the transformer then the simple answer is no, it wont work.

LED's are current driven ultimately and always from a DC source.

That said it is easy to connect an LED to an AC voltage using a diode to produce DC and a resistor to limit current.

Flicker can be an issue because LED's have no 'thermal inertia' like a filament bulb. This means that you might notice flicker, particularly as you move your eyes or look out of the corner of your eye... a bit like old CRT TV's of years ago.

Again easy to fix with the addition of a capacitor...

Or...

LED's use so little current that you could run them off the DC rails in the amplifier with only the addition of one series resistor. Super easy and no flicker.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well that sounds like a plan.

Remember that you can always experiment with LED's (on the kitchen table kind of thing) by using either one or two PP3 batteries and a few resistors. You would get a good feel for how they work and what to expect doing that.

If you wanted to try anything like that in future and wasn't sure what to do then just ask :)

Hi folks and hope you're all having a blessed New year.
Thought I'd update my post here for anyone else who might be looking to do the blue led upgrade.
Turned out to be extremely simple to do, I bought some blue LEDs (14v + resistor) from the bay and just cut away the old bulb and spliced the led into its place. Little solder and heat shrink and they look standard.
Simple as that really.
LEDs were bought from Wired 5mm LEDs Round Water Clear All Colours 5 mm LED Resistors | eBay

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_140415.jpg
    IMG_20210107_140415.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210107_140409.jpg
    IMG_20210107_140409.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thank you mate, was with you guys helping out too.
Sad thing is I had a sky engineer pop over the other day and now he wants it. After talking with him and realising he's into his music like I am thought I'd let him have it. It's waiting for him to collect now.
Will be a shame to see it go as I really have enjoyed the system but know it's going to a good home.

I have seen it and I have realised I may have undervalued them. I've got the three pieces too which I've tenderly serviced and got up to a very nice condition. I do know if I waited to sell these on the net I would get maybe triple what I've asked him for but it's not always about the money... Feel that I am helping someone achievea dream and that makes me feel better.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I understand you now, I thought you had given it to him :)

These were a nice unit and I remember our outfit selling these and I also remember installing one for a customer once when we were busy one Christmas. Techs didn't usually do installs but something like this was always nice to do.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It all depends on what you are using them in :)

Genuine 2SA970 would perhaps be more suited to low noise input circuitry. The 2N5401 is cheap and readily available and great for use in fault-finding and rebuilding circuitry. Plus it is higher specified in voltage, power and current.