high rail voltage chip amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any amplifier ICs that can handle +/-58V? I have a bookshelf stereo that is sentimental to someone, unfortunately since STKs arnt made anymore, they are hard to find unless chinese clones which are garbage. I tried, and it blew 3 times already.

So i am going to build an amp module retrofit, But i need to find a chip that can handle the rail voltages this thing puts out.

any ideas?

I tried building a transistor amp using the UPC2581 I had hanging around, following a sony schematic and turned out to be a disaster. distorted, oscillating like mad, etc...

I eventually got it tame, but it still had low level oscillation (couldnt hear) and it got hotter than hell.

So i gave up and want to go with a chip solution.

Are there any amplifier ICs that can handle +/-58V? I have a bookshelf stereo that is sentimental to someone, unfortunately since STKs arnt made anymore, they are hard to find unless chinese clones which are garbage. I tried, and it blew 3 times already.

Yes, some of the Chinese made STK are not exactly to Sanyo specs. They do blow up when you power up.

You can use the OEM STK4050V that I have. With the modifications I did, the STK4050V is stable. I tested them at +/- 65V for 200W full power. Should work at your voltages.

These mods are only applicable for my STK4050V.

Regards
Mike

Attachments

• STK4050mod.jpg
    STK4050mod.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 260
This unit used the STK-4221V, Yes and the junk ones do tend to spontaneously combust. Your STK is mono so it really isnt going to help considering the heatsink is very small, Fan cooled. Only enough room to fit 1 STK, I just barely managed to fit 4 TIP35/36 transistors on the heatsink, and they were packed side by side like sardines. Using TIP35/36 outputs with the UPC2581 worked ok, but it oscillated like a chinese bandwagon and the heatsink got way too hot way too quick.

I tried a couple already, one from MCM and one from Electronix online, they blew up. one on powerup, one after a little while.

I found an STK, which was way underpowered, but same pinout from an Optimus car amp from the mid 90s. Used that one, and it lasted a long time and eventually jamming it blew it.

So i have to find another option.. FAST.

Last edited:
Ah, i like the boostrapping idea (never understood that term, still dont, only in the digital world).

So, If i use the TDA7293/TDA7294, I could bootstrap these?

I read the document and the math is over my head. So, what type of transistors would i need? how much heat would they dissipate?

Bootstrapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(electronics)

the added transistors are puling the chip amp power supply pins up, while the chip output is going up – hence the lifting itself by its bootstraps metaphor

some people mistakenly call it a cascode connection – but its not really that

other terms are cascade, totem pole – Leach Superamp is one example

Leach SuperAmp Plans

I wouldn't really offer it as a “quick fix” - there are enough questions, added parts that the integrated driver chip solution is in the same ballpark

the transistors have to pass all the current the chip amp supplies to the load, need enough gain (hfe) that the bootstrap resistors aren't too big of load and don't drop too much V supplying the base current for the Q
also need to be fast enough that they don't add phase shift to the chip amp feedback loop, destabilizing it – you probably want to run at higher than the chip amp min stable gain too

depending on divider ratio - say 1:1 then 1/2 the total V is dropped by the added Q so ~ 1/2 the total power added heat dissapation is needed, spread across both upper/lower Q

MJL3281/1302 are fast, but you may need to parallel – which then require emitter R – they are only fast up to ~4A per transistor

probably has to be buffered with a driver stage to keep the divider R power loss down to <10 W, the drivers need to be really fast too

MOSFET may be easier but you lose 4-6 V swing from each rail

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.