Sony TA-FE230 Left Channel Weak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This seems like the best place on the net for this sort of thing, so here's my issue, fingers crossed someone can help :)

Basically, I've got a Sony TA-FE230 amp which is exhibiting a MAJOR loss of power in the left channel, primarily in the lower frequency range. The treble still seems to be of comparable power, but the bass is completely absent and the midrange seems to be lacking as well.

I've managed to get hold of the service manual, and here's the main section; the rest seems is just control surfaces and the PSU etc.

http://i.imgur.com/1dbkW.png

So the big question is, where would the fault likely be located, and which components would a replacement of give the best chance of success in getting it back to working order? :)

Fingers crossed one of you has some good advice :p

Ty very much!

I more or less discounted the tone section as altering the bass/treble controls DOES affect the sound, adding a bit more bass and mid to the left, but still WAY less than the right channel. Due to this, I just assumed that the problem was in the driving stage rather than the tone. Could be wrong though, I suppose if changing the power amp caps doesn't help I know where to try next :p

Unfortunately my ability to test the caps is pretty much limited to the whole multimeter polarity jockeying; a pretty fail method I know, but I figure replacing a couple of small caps will still work out as far cheaper than buying a proper tester lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.