Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Just scored a Sanyo DC-8500K, Can its preamp board drive a Matsushita EPC-451C?
Just scored a Sanyo DC-8500K, Can its preamp board drive a Matsushita EPC-451C?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

Default Just scored a Sanyo DC-8500K, Can its preamp board drive a Matsushita EPC-451C?

Hi, The amplifier is pretty much on its last legs, the cabinet was all busted up by some punk kids but I did save the speakers, and I was wondering if I could pull out the preamplifier board as shown below and power a Matsushita EPC-451C with it as this is the only CD-4 pickup that I own.

Or will it simply blow up the fragile and rare as pickup?

Was wondering if anyone had a Schematic for this unit?

Click the image to open in full size.

Check out those traces, wow!
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish

Last edited by freax; 6th November 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 6th November 2012, 03:31 AM   #2
sregor is offline sregor  United States
diyAudio Member

EPC-451c is a strain gauge cartridge, and requires a special preamp which supplies DC bias and different eq (not compatible with magnetic phono input. Manual for the cartridge is on vinylengne.com (free but have to register There are several threads in the turntable forum at audiokarma.com and at vinylengine.com and probably here. Matsushita (or Panasonic or Technics) made a CD4 demodulator which includes preamp for this cartridge, and there are a couple of DIY circuits here and on vinlylengine (also probably somewhere around here). It is very unlikely that the preamp in the sanyo would work at all with that cartridge. Good luck.

Last edited by sregor; 6th November 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:19 AM   #3
freax is offline freax
diyAudio Member

Just gave away the radio to someone who can use it for vinyl sources.

But yeah... going to have to build a preamp for this EPC...

Thanks for pointing me towards vinyl engine, that will be a big help.
diyaudio is against your rights. I do not have the right to be forgotten and after asking the issue has been ignored, therefore I'm leaving (peacefully) for this reason. I stand up for my rights. So long and thanks for all the Fish

Last edited by freax; 6th November 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Just scored a Sanyo DC-8500K, Can its preamp board drive a Matsushita EPC-451C?Hide this!Advertise here!