Please help me choose my next amplifier build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

I have, in my possession, a rather nice chassis with power supply, and am looking for a nice pair of amplifier boards to put in it. I have a lot of ideas, but no one stands out as the best. So I'd like to see if any other amplifier-builders have any suggestions.

Here are the requirements:

• Ideal rail voltages need to be about +/- 58V, as this is the voltage of the (two) power supplies. They are unregulated, linear designs with one 300VA transformer each, and a soft-start. Sadly, this rules out all of the wonderful Class A designs available at the diyAUDIO store:(.
  • Heat Sink space is 11" X 4.75" (280mm X 120mm) per side. So board size and thermal management will, generally, not be an issue.:up:
  • I would like at least 100W into 8R, and about 200W into 4R, but this is not terribly important. Ability to drive a low impedance speaker is important, as my "main" speakers drop to 3R briefly, and I don't want to be limited when I design a pair of speakers for these.
  • Prefer single-ended inputs, but I could built a converter if necessary.
  • required input voltage is not an issue, as I can use a good pre-amp.
  • I don't want to etch my own PCB's.
  • I prefer a board & design from a well-known designer. This excludes most of the sketchy stuff found on fleece-bay.
Here are the ideas I've already had:

• The Honey Badger is a no-brainer for this. Problem is, I'm already planning on a Honey Badger build using the diyAUDIO power supply and chassis. And who wants to build the same thing twice? Boring . . .:yawn:
  • I'd love to try a Class A design, but as said above, I think the rail voltages are too high. Unless I'm mistaken? :scratch2:
  • Another chip-amp. Oh God :Ohno: not another chipamp build!
  • This Velleman, Inc. Velleman kit looks OK, but it's a kit, and I'd prefer to choose my own components.
  • Carlo's DX Blame MKIII fits the bill too, and I know boards are available. But I already built one of those . . . (FYI - it ROCKS!)
  • This ESP amp Project 101 - High Power, High Fidelity Lateral MOSFET power amplifier also fits the bill. I've built quite a few ESP designs and found them all to work well. But it's so small it will waste most of my heatsinks and much of the power supply's potential. I could easily fit 2 of these boards on one heatsink and make a 4 channel amp. This would make design of the speakers easier (active X-over) This is my leading option so far . . .
any suggestions . . . ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.