Krell KSA 100 mk2 recap- advice required

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gents,

I have a KSA 100 mk 2 in need of recapping.

Some questions:

a) Should I replace the original Spraque caps with similar new Spraque caps or can one use different caps (Mundorf Power Lytics) without changing the sonic attributes of the amp?

b) The 2 Roedersteins on the Pcb board also need to be replaced and;

c) Does anybody know the model number of the fans used in the amp?

In the past I have used Black Gate NTX on the pcb board which worked well. Then there is also the option of Nichicon Fine Gold?

The Black Gates are very smooth and 3 dimensional but possibly at the cost of loosing some dynamics. The existing Roederstein caps are dynamic but 2 dimensional in their presentation.

Which cap will work best - any recommendations ?

Regards

Jozua

My experiments continue

Tonight I replaced a pair of Alcap PG 6DI -002, 55000 mdf, 63 V power supply caps with a set of Sprague Powerlytic 36 DX , 40-000 mfd, 75 Volt caps (similar to what was used in the Krell KSA 50 and 100) and low and behold, subjectively it sounded cleaner than the Alcon caps.

Better bass definition and somewhat better top end.

Regards

Lanchile

After extensive listening I have found the Mundorf High Current (HC) power supply caps to be in a league of their own.

At this stage I am using Mundorf HC in the Power supply and Mundorf Silver in Oil (SIO) in the crossovers. The SIO previously sounded sharp, are now very natural sounding.

Could it be that there is a definite interaction between the power supply caps used within the amp and the caps used within the crossover? At this stage I would not be surprised if the synergies between certain products (amps and speakers) are influenced by this principle.

Jozua

Last edited:
Andrew

It is not as if I am comparing worn out PS caps with new caps. The original PS caps were replaced a couple of months ago with exact Spraque replacements and now recently with the Mundorfs

Our exchange rate has in the meantime dropped about 30% with the result that it is hard to justify if the additional cost should one wish to recap more amps with the Mundorf caps.

Regards

Jozua

Last edited:
Andrew

It is not as if I am comparing worn out PS caps with new caps. The original PS caps were replaced a couple of months ago with exact Spraque replacements and now recently with the Mundorfs

Our exchange rate has in the meantime dropped about 30% with the result that it is hard to justify if the additional cost should one wish to recap more amps with the Mundorf caps.

Regards

Jozua

Hi Jozua,

Hope the Krell is working well. I did a similar test a while ago, with a very basic class-A amplifier. In our test we had swapped power supply with 2 different type of Capacitors. We found out, that one set gave way more low frequency response than the other one. When we compared datasheets, we found the better one having less internal resistance as well as a a higher rated ripple current. Maybe it is the case with your capacitors.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.