Sony TA-VE215 cracking sound/sound cutting out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a Sony TA-VE215 amplifier and have a problem with the speakers cutting out. They work for a while and then a switching sound occurs, cutting the sound from the speakers. I have provided a link below which explains that there is apparently a connection to the relay that has been cracked and it needs re-soldering. May I ask if this is the correct solution and how I would go about doing so.

Sony amp fix - TA-VE215 etc - AfterDawn: Forums Thank you

Hello and welcome....

Before advice can be given in relation to solving the fault..just one question from a safety point of view have you done much electronics work?...anyway moving on...with your amp unplugged and power supply drained next re-flow the solder around the relay's and check for any pcb tracks that may of cracked..then retry your amp.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome....

Before advice can be given in relation to solving the fault..just one question from a safety point of view have you done much electronics work?...anyway moving on...with your amp unplugged and power supply drained next re-flow the solder around the relay's and check for any pcb tracks that may of cracked..then retry your amp.

Hello, I'm fairly new to tinkering around with electronics so I'm assuming this would be the kind of thing I should get someone with experience to do? I wouldn't wanna go breaking the amp when there's only something small wrong with it :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Soldering

It's a reasonable bet but still not certain that the solution is only the relay soldering. If you want to repair it yourself then best to learn to solder without damaging the PCB by prolonged heating, using force or tools etc. first. The copper foil conductor is only glued to the PCB so great care is necessary until you learn your own and the material's limits. Practice on scrap tinplate or a pcb from old e-junk or what-have-you first. A suitable soldering iron may cost more than the service charge anyway so reconsider your options though with skill, you can use any iron, even the cheap bargain ones but it is also much easier to cause damage with them too.

You will find illustrated beginner guides to soldering in most electronic parts merchandisers stores and even free brochures at the counter or included with soldering products. There are many handy tips and hints for success but apart from not starting with troublesome lead-free solder and just using 1mm dia. regular 60/40 tin/lead solder there's not much but to get the temperature about right at 360 F if you have an electronically temp. controlled type or otherwise rely on the fluctuating temperature of a simple direct wired element type. Get the advice or better, the assistance of someone with a little soldering experience already to demonstrate the technique. Often a demo. is all it takes when words just don't seem to communicate for some of us.

Obviously you need to locate the relay and make sure you have good access before charging in or you may burn insulation and other components as well. Download a service manual and follow the illustrations which should be fairly easy as speaker relays tend to be fair-sized block shaped parts and you can hear them in any case.

There is no point offering more suggestions until you get kitted up and started practising, so get the iron, about 50g solder and a chunk of damped coarse sponge to wipe off the gunk of charred flux and oxidation as it builds on the tip. Don't forget to tin the iron by itself first and use some form of stand or grip to prevent the iron falling and burning you or your valuable furniture and carpet whist you are not using it, if you decide to go the cheap and basic route.

A job like this demands a fair sized - perhaps 2-3 mm dia. tip to allow you to literally wash the solder over the surface and transfer heat quickly with least damage to the parts or board. Don't linger, do it right once and all will be well.

Go to it and good luck. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.