amp 120v-240v conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Am new to the forums and have a limited knowledge of electronics so have a question that someone may be able to help with...

I have a circa 1990 Adcom GFA-555 power amp that was purchased in the USA, so runs on 120 volts. I live in Australia which has 240 volts. I am running this amp from an external step down transformer, but am interested in seeing if I can convert it to run on 240 volts and do away with the external transformer. I was hoping there may be a way to re wire the taps from the power supply torroid that would not involve too much re-working of the amp. The wires from the primary of the torroid are as follows:

Blue ------- 120 vac \
Joined - connected to power cable
Black--------120 vac/

Yellow---------------\

Brown------120 vac - through power switch and fuse

Orange - not used
Red - not used

Would appreciate if anyone could offer some advice / help.

Thanks guys,

Chris

The best approach is to contact Adcom and ask them. The description sounds like the transformer can be wired for different mains.

Without info from Adcom, it could probably be done but since you are dealing with main (240v yet!) I recommend this be done by a local tech with more experience wiyh the local power mains than you indicate you have. For one thing, there are so many ways transformers are built (and no standardization on colors - at least that I would trust), that the only sure and safe approach is to 6take some resistance measuresments on the primary side, make an educated deduction, then carefully apply power and measure what comes out the secondary. After that different fusing is required and posibly a different power switch.

Likely it is easy if done right but a potential disaster (not just to the equipment) if done incorrectly.

Mains Polarity can Be Strongly Important..........

Provided that your extenal step down transformer is generously rated, I find that the mains isolation provided by this external transformer can be sonically a very good thing.
If you want to go the last mile, fit a mains polarity reversing switch at the input connection and the output socket of your external transformer box.
This will give you 4 switch permutations to try, and because of earth leakage in unbalanced systems, expect mains input and output polarity changes to affect/effect sonics.
Further swapping the mains polarity into the CDP with will give you another 4 polarity combinations to try - if you have a CDP fig-8 mains cable this is easy.

Be sure to consult your electrical expert about fitting polarity reversal switches where appropriate if you are not completely clear on this.

Eric.

check the red and orange wires

you can find out with a dmm set to read ohms if these wires connect to any other wires, wether i connect to primary or secondary windings if at all, you can also measure any ac voltage present in these wires, then we shal know...be very carefull though...

Chris ,ok i`ll give you my GFA-585 wiring block layout maybe it`s the same.
The block has 9 entry points
As it`s wired in mine for 240v i have 1=yellow 2=orange 3=n/c 4=blue 5=black 6=n/c 7=red 8=n/c 9=white.

Black Red and White remain constant in 5,7,and 9 regardless of what voltage you want, only yellow ,orange and blue get moved around for the different voltages.

ps this is about as clear and safe as i can explain it, if it`s the same all should fall into place with no questions.

Cheers George

If have the GFA 555 aswell, and need to source the wiring layout so I can convert the 120v to 240 - did you manage with yours a yr ago? do you know this post is actually here? I wait in hope that you do. Pls feel free to email me.
I also have a conrad johnson PV-5 preamp that needs the same treatment - anybody tried this? - I can say to anyone who hasn't seen inside one of these - it's beautiful... they don't make them like this anymore (etc..) wish I knew a bit more to do it myself.

I ended up purchasing a copy of the 555 service manual from a vendor on Ebay. The last page of the manual has a diagram showing how to configure for various voltages. I will attach an image of that page. Hope this helps.

Chris

Attachments

• gfa555.jpg
    gfa555.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 574
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.