Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering
Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering
Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
dinkyguitar is offline dinkyguitar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering

Hi All,

I tried resoldering one of my resistors and had a hard time because the solder was coming off the fiberglass board. When I apply heat to the runs on the back of the board the solder collects on my tip and off the fiberglass board.

Is there a trick? Or is it because the board is old? It's a Hafler P125 stereo amp, and my butane soldering iron is on the lowest setting.

dinky,
Old 30th July 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
tauro0221 is offline tauro0221  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The reason is coming off is because your soldering iron it is too hot. I would not use heat torch to solder components in a circuit board. You should get a low wattage soldering iron.
Old 30th July 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
bear is offline bear
diyAudio Member

You want about 650deg F to 700deg F temperature, and to be sure that if ur not soldering to the pad that the trace is clean and free of "conformal coating" first... tin the virgin area then solder...

Also you need to use good solder, with proper rosin flux.

I can do the soldering with a butane torch with a solder tip, but you want to go in fast and certain, takes a bit of experience and touch. Find an old PCB from a TV or something like that and experiment until you get the technique & timing perfect.

Or buy one of the $40 adjustable temp soldering irons off the web and be done with it.

_-_-bear
Old 30th July 2012, 10:33 PM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

On old boards, sometimes a little paste flux help. ELECTRONIC activated flux of course.
The pads on Hafler boards do lift easy. I use a temp controlled Weller station.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:41 PM   #5
dinkyguitar is offline dinkyguitar  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys....

I do know how to solder...been doing it for years. I just never had a situation like this.

Oh, and the butane iron that I'm using is a weller, but with a soldering tip..supposed to be equivalent to a 25-75 watt iron....Sorry for the confusion.

I'll try to keep the heat down...

dinky,

Last edited by dinkyguitar; 30th July 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When SolderingHide this!Advertise here! Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering