Hafler PC Board Solder Coming Off When Soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I tried resoldering one of my resistors and had a hard time because the solder was coming off the fiberglass board. When I apply heat to the runs on the back of the board the solder collects on my tip and off the fiberglass board.

Is there a trick? Or is it because the board is old? It's a Hafler P125 stereo amp, and my butane soldering iron is on the lowest setting.

dinky,

You want about 650deg F to 700deg F temperature, and to be sure that if ur not soldering to the pad that the trace is clean and free of "conformal coating" first... tin the virgin area then solder...

Also you need to use good solder, with proper rosin flux.

I can do the soldering with a butane torch with a solder tip, but you want to go in fast and certain, takes a bit of experience and touch. Find an old PCB from a TV or something like that and experiment until you get the technique & timing perfect.

Or buy one of the $40 adjustable temp soldering irons off the web and be done with it.

_-_-bear

Thanks guys....

I do know how to solder...been doing it for years. I just never had a situation like this.

Oh, and the butane iron that I'm using is a weller, but with a soldering tip..supposed to be equivalent to a 25-75 watt iron....Sorry for the confusion.

I'll try to keep the heat down...

dinky,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.