Why bd139 Vbe multiplier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see many many diy amps with BD139 as Vbe multuplier.

Id like to know what is desirable in a VBE transistor,

Nice High Ft, low c, low cost, gain?

I have BD139-10 low gain and BD139-16 higher gain,
which would be better, or does it not matter with temp to vbe change?

thanks

I see many many diy amps with BD139 as Vbe multuplier.

Id like to know what is desirable in a VBE transistor,

Nice High Ft, low c, low cost, gain?

I have BD139-10 low gain and BD139-16 higher gain,
which would be better, or does it not matter with temp to vbe change?

thanks

I'm not an expert, but I experienced that Hfe is important. During my last amp I made, I have tried a lot of VBE multiplier configurations to find one that has +- the same tempco as the OPS.

For example: see the datasheets of 2SC4495 / 2SC3964. These are specially made for this amplication. Both are having a Hfe of minimum 500.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
How much Hfe do you think is needed? The requirement here is minimal and the previous posts have given the reasons
that have applied to the choice of BD139 for decades, no doubt.

1. Its a BJT 2. It's cheap 3.It's easily mounted. - end of story!

The tempco of BJT silicon B-E junctions are all similar. The tempco. of the circuit will be different to that of the
multiplier's and is set by the circuit gain or it's operating slope in -mV/degree as determined by the operating voltages,
component selection, adjustment setting and the integrity of the thermal coupling to the device it is controlling.

Fortunately, nothing like Hfe 500 is needed from this T0126 transistor!

I'm not an expert, but I experienced that Hfe is important. During my last amp I made, I have tried a lot of VBE multiplier configurations to find one that has +- the same tempco as the OPS.
If the Hfe has an excessive influence on the tempco, this means that the circuit around the multiplier (resistors) is poorly designed.

In this respect, a higher gain eases things and smooths out differences.

Normally, the tempco is dependent mainly on the current density, which is why it is important to choose a large enough device.

The best solution being of course to dispense completely with this kind of outdated technique....

Thanks guys, I get it,
BD139/140 have been awesome for years,
and they werent to bad in their day, and still are pretty nice today.
I've used them as drivers in "cheap" amps.

Was wondering about high/low hfe, but now my minds put at ease.

Learning lots from DiyAudio, Its members Rock!

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The hfe has a influence on temp, the higher the hfe the more temperature sensitive the transistor is, so ideal youd use a super beta or a darlington. The high hfe also helps the vbe have very low impedance which makes it more resistant to vas current fluctuations due to high load from output stage and powersupply fluctuations. A lower voltage transistor also has higher sensitivity with regard to temperature, even a 20 to 30 volt part is fine.

Good parts for the job has been mentioned, the bd works but its not so good when you start using triple EF outputstages.

The best part for the job is KTC3114, if you can get it, so far Ive only been able to purchase factory direct. The low noise, low Cob, very hig hfe and ft make it ideal, it comes in To126 package as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.