Reducing Voltage in a safe way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone else have anything to say about 3 transformers in series? :) also... I have something of a voltage problem... heh... any ideas? 3 transformers..... all the same.. in series (assuming this will work) its 2 x 120V primary, 2 x 9V secondary 250VA.....any ideas to give me about +-30 to +-35 volts from three in series? :) THANX! my calculations say I'd get +-38 volts... perhaps I'll just use this.. :) THANX AGAIN!! lol I'll just try it with +-38 volts.. lol

darkm4n:

That amplifier will only do 200W/8R with ±40V supplies.

Just buy the recommended 32-0-32V 8A transformer.

Even if you had a fully regulated supply it couldn't deliver 350W/8R, even driven into saturation the outputs drop about 3V, and the emitter resistors also drop voltage, the drive circuit drops voltage, etc.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Ok .

darkm4n said:
So , if i do more 60 winding's it should reach the 32 value...??

Thanks

You did 80 windings to get from 42 to 38. How many do you think will get you 60 windings? (Hint: It's 20 windings per volt. So 60 give you another 3 volts, you get 35 volts). And dont forget a liberal use of insulating tape between layers and on top!

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SkinnyBoy said:
anyone else have anything to say about 3 transformers in series? :) also... I have something of a voltage problem... heh... any ideas? 3 transformers..... all the same.. in series (assuming this will work) its 2 x 120V primary, 2 x 9V secondary 250VA.....any ideas to give me about +-30 to +-35 volts from three in series? :) THANX! my calculations say I'd get +-38 volts... perhaps I'll just use this.. :) THANX AGAIN!! lol I'll just try it with +-38 volts.. lol

You do realise that the primaries have to be in PARALLEL right?

Jan Didden

You are litterally playing with fire if you don't do it right!:hot:
Please buy another and save this one for another project or sell it to buy the other one.
As far as three transformers in a series, you must get the phasing right or you might have a problem(read bang).

markp said:
You are litterally playing with fire if you don't do it right!:hot:
Please buy another and save this one for another project or sell it to buy the other one.
As far as three transformers in a series, you must get the phasing right or you might have a problem(read bang).

yeah.. I knew I had to get the phasing right.... not sure there will be a bang if I get it wrong... :rolleyes:

Nope

darkm4n:

That amplifier will only do 200W/8R with ±40V supplies.

Just buy the recommended 32-0-32V 8A transformer.

Even if you had a fully regulated supply it couldn't deliver 350W/8R, even driven into saturation the outputs drop about 3V, and the emitter resistors also drop voltage, the drive circuit drops voltage, etc.

I own a 500 VA transformer .
After my winding the aperadge of thea xformer drop ?
If i get it to 32 V - 0 - 32V i think it would be fine , unless the amperadge drop .. i really don't know

I can't find a 32 V x2 traf ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.