diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

I am not sure fast fuses could deal with the on rush current this build has. There is one way to find out, just buy some fast blow and find out. What kind of soft start speaker protection are other members here are using for this amplifier? I know the store sells a board but I am interested in knowing alternatives.

Rail fuses are there to protect the power supply from a shorted wire or amplifier module (none are going to be fast enough to protect the output devices or speakers). Slow blow is better there. After full load testing the amp have a close look at the center of the fuse element for discolouration. If you see any the fuse was beginning to melt and needs to be larger. This shows up as "fuse distortion" on the audio output. It looks like clipping on a scope.

If you want a complete state of the art protection system that will protect the whole amplifier and your speakers have a look at this system Amp Control System V6.2.2 Boards Bundle (5 PCBs, Simpelstark family) – Virtual Zero Audio Store

How to build a 21st century protection board

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Rail fuses are there to protect the power supply from a shorted wire or amplifier module (none are going to be fast enough to protect the output devices or speakers). Slow blow is better there. After full load testing the amp have a close look at the center of the fuse element for discolouration. If you see any the fuse was beginning to melt and needs to be larger. This shows up as "fuse distortion" on the audio output. It looks like clipping on a scope.

If you want a complete state of the art protection system that will protect the whole amplifier and your speakers have a look at this system Amp Control System V6.2.2 Boards Bundle (5 PCBs, Simpelstark family) – Virtual Zero Audio Store

How to build a 21st century protection board

I can vouch for the 21st century protection board. I have a V5.3 with DC protection, thermal protection, soft start, over and under line voltage protection, overcurrent protection, and MOSFET power supply disconnects/protection. It's all ran by an Aurdino chip and is modifiable.

for what I see yes it should work for PDF transfer right?

Attachments

• HB PDF toner.pdf
    100.1 KB · Views: 133
  • HB PDF silkscreen.pdf
    138.2 KB · Views: 115
  • HB red jumpers.jpg
    HB red jumpers.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 397
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi All,

I've made a few improvements to my amplifier including Mu-metal shielding, correct power supply snubber network using the Quasimodo, 240v mains line filter. While also improving my attenuator and measurement technique. I think this is as good as it gets for the HB using standard components. I'm now looking into measuring the loop gain so I can see what the phase and gain margins are.

Then I can look at decreasing the competition capacitors to get more loop gain which will give me more negative feedback which should result in lower levels of distortion.

Stuart%20HB%20using%20new%20Attenuator%2010K%20Version%2080%20watts%201%20Khz.jpg 20201017_075636.jpg 20201017_075657.jpg 20200918_152607.jpg

Hello,
I am a new member and have joined to ask for help with an Amp Camp Amp build I just completed. MY let channel audio is very weak vs. the right. I notice that when turning on the amp I hear the caps of the right charge up but not the left. the bias on both channels is 24.3. I have checked solder joints and see no grounds and both boards are the same. the amp is set up as stereo so bridging is not an issue. I suspect one of the caps is the issue but do not have testing equipment to check. I did check all the resisters when I populated the boards and all were in spec.
Any advise would be help. I have built several tube amps and have had now problems but the built has me stumped.

Thanks,
Herb