diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

And how did you calculate this?
Btw, 480 watts output power isn't possible with the DC power limited to also 480 watts - at least not for sinusoidal signals. And that is what counts.
Best regards!
you have +/-55 rails. 4ohm load.

55x55/4=756.25W peak powerdraw out of the PSU

you will have some voltage loss in the circuit, so your voltagesving at the outputs will be a little less. i could Guess you are left With about 32V Rms.

32x32/4= 256W Rms at 4ohm. 500ish W peak. and then you have an efficiency of about 66%. and that seams about right for a class A/B amp.

Last edited:
bear in mind that all this talk about power and its calculations are based on sine waves...

so that a 100 watt sine power, seldom go beyond 10 watts listening to music...
the higher rating is important during transients where peak voltages are important,
but even then average power is still low...

in the home settings listening to music can be just a few watts...

we need the power spec so we can dimension components that will go into the building of our amps..

you have +/-55 rails. 4ohm load.

55x55/4=756.25W peak powerdraw out of the PSU

you will have some voltage loss in the circuit, so your voltagesving at the outputs will be a little less. i could Guess you are left With about 32V Rms.

32x32/4= 256W Rms at 4ohm. 500ish W peak. and then you have an efficiency of about 66%. and that seams about right for a class A/B amp.

yes, but real amps with real psu's will have rails that sag at full power, by how much? unless we measure, we can not say for sure...different amps will have different psu's..

so what i propose instead is an FTC testing of the finished ampli using a scope, a dummy load of 8 or 4 ohms and a sine wave source, testing at 100hz, 1khz, and 10 khz is good...

the power at onset of clipping is the closer to the truth...

computations/calculations are good when designing amps and psu's

we need the power spec so we can dimension components that will go into the building of our amps..

Yeah, but it is possible the calculate the output power for 20Hz, 21Hz, 22Hz, 23Hz...etc, if the loudspeaker manufacturer will specify the impedance for each frequency...

Both of you are quite right! But that's exactly been my question in #3285:

480 watts DC input relates to about 300 watts output power in an AB amplifier. For 4 ohms loads this would require rails of about 55 Vdc, so 27.5V per brick.

Will three pairs of MJL4281/4302's, bolted on a 300 mm 3U Dissipante heatsink, be up to task for this goal? Or do I have to opt for bigger devices? Which ones?

And I'm adding: Will four smaller 24V 2.5A (which means 240 W DC input power) open frame SMPS's suffice if the HB will be connected to - nominally - 8 Ω exclusively and if I adjust them for +/- 54V rails?

Best regards!

Last edited:
690 and 404 , what a mismatch ! Ahh , next badger needs a servo !

@ 400 for your gain class , I would increase the emitter resistors by 50% on both the LTP and current mirror. Try to match for at least the 375-425 range on all 4 in the CM/LTP. A real high Hfe device can be used for the beta enhancement Xter in the VAS , great place for a 690 !

OS

yes, but real amps with real psu's will have rails that sag at full power, by how much? unless we measure, we can not say for sure...different amps will have different psu's..

so what i propose instead is an FTC testing of the finished ampli using a scope, a dummy load of 8 or 4 ohms and a sine wave source, testing at 100hz, 1khz, and 10 khz is good...

the power at onset of clipping is the closer to the truth...

computations/calculations are good when designing amps and psu's

Ocourse. There will be parameters that just can't be calculated in theory. I can only calculate with what i got.
But as voltagedrop goes. i doubdt it will be a voltage dropp of 20ish volt pr rail wich is needed for the amp not to draw way to much current. And if it would be that much of a voltagedrop, the sond would be pretty flat, lifeless and boring with about 1db room for peaks.

Both of you are quite right! But that's exactly been my question in #3285:

And I'm adding: Will four smaller 24V 2.5A (which means 240 W DC input power) open frame SMPS's suffice if the HB will be connected to - nominally - 8 Ω exclusively and if I adjust them for +/- 54V rails?

Best regards!

Now you are asking the for the same as before. Just with a different set of numbers. The answer is the same. iI you use the 5A PSU's and stay at 8ohm (whitout any dips to 4-5ohm under 100Hz) then you would be okei.

Ocourse. There will be parameters that just can't be calculated in theory. I can only calculate with what i got.
But as voltagedrop goes. i doubdt it will be a voltage dropp of 20ish volt pr rail wich is needed for the amp not to draw way to much current. And if it would be that much of a voltagedrop, the sond would be pretty flat, lifeless and boring with about 1db room for peaks.

no way to know for sure unless you test the completed amp....

Hy all,
I went through the BOM file available on diyaudio store and discovered there are some obsolete parts. Could we all help update the BOM with active parts or better than the ones published in official BOM? If we manage this update, it will also be updated on diyaudio store.
I'll try to track all your recommendations.

To start, here are some obsolete parts I found:
Q1, Q2: MPSA18RLRMG (was last shipped by manufacturer at 31 Mar 2015)
D1, D2: 1N4148,133 (is withdrawed 27 Oct 2013)
C10, C12, C14, C16: B32520C1104J