diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This thread is for people to discuss their builds, build issues, and parts for the diyAB "Honey Badger" power amp. the boards will be in the diyAudio store in a few days...

Main Thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/192431-diyab-amp-honey-badger.html

Schematics, etc.:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...amp-class-ab-amp-diyaudio-19.html#post2650279

To get boards go here to the diyAudio Store. There is also more info about the boards:
http://www.diyaudio.com/store/ampli...badger-class-ab-amplifier-circuit-boards.html

Last edited:
Good job getting the boards in the store. :D
@Variac, feel free to edit, revise or recycle this post.

A version of the schematic with white background for easy printing:
280625d1336179640-diyab-amp-honey-badger-diya_classab_schematic.gif

A direct link to the original documents.
Parts list attached below:

Attachments

• DIYA-AMP_BOM.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,573
Last edited:
P.S.
I don't have complete information on the post build checks and adjustment of the trimmers. Can someone please contribute that documentation?

You have already provided a link to the adjustments and checks originally posted by ostripper. Click on 'direct link to original documents'. In that zip file there is a file called
'DIYA-AMP -construction-advanced-options.txt'. It has all the details used for constructing and testing the amplifier.

Regards

niss_man

a beginner question: how big of a transformer do I need for this amplifier, and can you recommend any?
I used a 600va 2x40v one for mine. The amp is capable of 180w into an 8 ohm load so there is some headroom. or you could use a couple of 300va ones. Oh yes and I also installed a soft start.

Regards

niss_man

Attachments

• IMGP1209.JPG
    IMGP1209.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 44,835
C7 can have up to 120v across it. As long as your caps are rated to maybe 200v you should be right. I am not sure why c8 should be silver mica may be someone else knows. It only shows a couple of volts at clipping under ltspice simulation. Another reason may be also that micas have a lower tolerance.

Regards

Simon

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A quick PSU question -

I have a pair of single 120v primary/49v-0-49v secondary transformers of indeterminate VA, but the best guess is around 300. They should be great for a HoneyBadger.

I am planning on using one per channel.

The build guide mentions about 40,000uf per rail of filter capacitance. Does this change with a dual-mono setup like I am planning? Of course, I could just go nuts and have an excess of caps, but that doesn't actually appeal to me. (And anyway, 80v caps are expensive...)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
I have a pair of DIY Aleph 2 monoblocks, each consisting of:

• Modushop 4U 400mm enclosure
  • 1000VA 2 x 40V transformer
  • CLC power supply (47000uF/63V, 2.2mH, 47000uF/63V for each rail)
  • Aleph 2 circuit boards (KK PCB)
Seems ideal for a DiyAB amp and it is such a waste to have to buy new enclosures, transformers and caps just to test them.
But I do not want to get rid of the Aleph 2's either. :scratch:

Then I had an idea. :yes:
What if I add a DiyAB amp board to each enclosure (so each monoblock would contain both the Aleph 2 and the DiyAB circuits for one channel). Could I simply add a switch to connect each rail to either circuit? Or should the inputs and outputs also be switched?

Ok, that sounds really interesting!
But I have no idea what it is. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Keantoken's low voltage drop capacitive multiplier is "K-multi"

A capacitive multiplier replaces a cap bank. A low voltage drop capacitive multiplier runs cooler due to less waste but that is also more economical to heatsink. Both benefits at once is a K-multi.

A quick PSU question -

I have a pair of single 120v primary/49v-0-49v secondary transformers of indeterminate VA, but the best guess is around 300. They should be great for a HoneyBadger.

I am planning on using one per channel.

The build guide mentions about 40,000uf per rail of filter capacitance. Does this change with a dual-mono setup like I am planning? Of course, I could just go nuts and have an excess of caps, but that doesn't actually appeal to me. (And anyway, 80v caps are expensive...)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hi 6L6!

I have tried 'em amps with as low as 10,000uf per rail for two channels! :D No perceivable difference as long as I keep my loads at 8 ohms. With 4 ohms it just needs more capacitance in there.

I'm thinking of building just a single channel and install it to a piece of alum sheet to make a sub plate amp.

Good luck on your build!

Good job getting the boards in the store. :D
@Variac, feel free to edit, revise or recycle this post.

A version of the schematic with white background for easy printing:
280625d1336179640-diyab-amp-honey-badger-diya_classab_schematic.gif

A direct link to the original documents.
Parts list attached below:

I have doubts about the settings of the presets "ccs" "bias" and "offset", nor understand the meaning of 'r18' and 'd3 (zener diode) "