diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

looking good.

Thanks. It will be a little more fine-tuned once the house renovations gets underway, and I have a better understanding of my needs.

If you work like many of us, you won't see the bench top for long anyway. It'll be buried in tools and parts.

That's what it looked like behind me when I took the picture, lol. S--- everywhere!

Posted this in the other thread wereas it was supposed to be here.

sad news... made my chassis top last night. While putting it in place I accidentaly dropped the temp sensor inside!!! I think it shorted between one of the fuses on right channel and ground, blew the fuse with a hump, and right midwoofers went byebyebye. Tested again with new fuse and everything and lef speaker was fine and the amplifier to.
Was planning on using the speaker elements in the new speakerset.

Now this morning I was laying in bed, kids got up backbraking early turned on tv and sound, what they usually do. My wife just got down and we hear pow pow pow from the left speaker and its a gonner. You got to hate the smell of burned speaker elements.

Smoke and glowing from the amp cabinet and r23 on left channel is burned. WTF was that about? I cannot find much information about r23 but the amp has been going for days without any trouble

Of course I found something stupid under the pcb. A small leg from a resistor probably had "glued" itself between the "c" leg in the c-z default and d-bc option (witch currently holds no diode) but certainly shorted something.

https://cloud.midtbo.pw/index.php/s/u7YydK8Yh5kUVjS Here we can clearly see it is out of smoke so I have to refill.
https://cloud.midtbo.pw/index.php/s/bkuhmTNROXRbyu3 And a small shorting in the middle of the photo

New builder here. I'm putting together 3 channels to use for home theater LCR. I've already started assembling the amp boards using parts from Mouser. I used OSTripper's DIYBADGER1 shared project. Admittedly, my knowledge of electronics is probably lacking for this project, but my goal is still a functioning amp on the first try. I've been going through this build thread making notes, but I'm unsure on a few of the components.

MPSA18 for Q1/Q2 appears to be obsolete. I ordered SS9014CBU instead...will I need to change anything or just solder them in place and run it?

There's two 2.2K resistors, a 1/4W carbon film and an 1/8W metal film. They are for R14 and R28, but I don't know which should be which(or why)

C4 is 50-100V in BOM, I suspect this is similar situation to the 1/8W resistors, but should I be worried about using a 35V cap here?

Several capacitors labeled film or polystyrene in the BOM appear to have been swapped with X7R Ceramic?

C18 and C19 are excluded?

Other than those few things, the build has been going well so far.

P.S. for anyone using the shared project cart, it is short one 220R resistor

Well, the wife told me that my mouser order arrived today! Looks like the build will start in a couple of weeks when I get home from work!

Also, I have been researching insulators for the MJL4281/MJL4302 output devices... I've seen some members recommend using Kapton tape in some instances where insulators were hard to come by. Anybody have thoughts or experience on this?

The wiring on our aircraft use kapton insulation. I am not a fan of it for that application. It flexes and breaks, creating a path to airframe/ other circuits. I imagine this would be less problematic for a fixed transistor. That being said, the signal level is much higher on the transistors than it is on the 28 vdc 18ga wires I'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: