Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

diyAB Amp  The "Honey Badger" build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2014, 02:19 PM   #1011
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

janusz, thanks!

I was thinking there would be a convention for this process (CW, CCW relative to the writing...) but looking at traces is case specific; the best!
Old 24th March 2014, 02:24 PM   #1012
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

I like clockwise to increase the effect being read/measured/heard

eg.
clockwise to increase the gain and the volume.
clockwise to increase the output bias voltage/current.
clockwise to increase the output offset, (in the positive direction).

Most multi-turn trimmers are not laid out in a PCB to achieve my preference consistently.
Some PCB layouts even manage to get trimmers to do the opposite on the same PCB !
Old 24th March 2014, 02:25 PM   #1013
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures help SO much

Oh and janusz...if you can post pictures of your process I am (among many others I assume) tracking all the efforts of those building the HB trying to "get it right the first time".

I am still in the checking parts stage and on my third read of the manual, second of this thread series
Old 29th March 2014, 06:59 PM   #1014
BlinkBlankClunk is offline BlinkBlankClunk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Honeybadger problems

Hi everyone,
I built a stereo pair of badgers based on the latest revision of the boards from the store. I have adjusted everything based on the build guide and the CCS current, offset and bias are all where they should be. I am powering the board from a dual tracking supply (+-35 volts, that's as high as the supplies go) with current limited to 750mA. The board is drawing about 220 mA when idle and the heatsink is at 35 deg Celcius.

The problem is that when I connect a source (mp3 Player) I hear nothing, and see very little on the scope (besides about 40mvP-P noise). When I turn the volume all the way up, I barely hear a bit of music from the connected 8 ohm speaker (I am guessing I'd hear about as much if the board was just a pair of wires!)...Any ideas why?

BTW I am not using the D-BC optional diode. Do I need a jumper there, or should it be left open?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 29th March 2014, 11:15 PM   #1015
idooley is offline idooley  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm getting close to powering up my 3 honey badgers. For convenience reasons, I'd like to power them up initially using a smaller 33-0-33 VAC transformer, but plan on eventually using a larger 30-0-30 VAC transformer. Would this cause a problem? Would I need to readjust the bias, ccs, and offset adjustments upon changing power supplies, or are these settings independent of this change in rail voltages?

If it matters, I'm doing the 12V zener referenced cascode option.
Old 30th March 2014, 04:19 AM   #1016
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkBlankClunk View Post
Hi everyone,
I built a stereo pair of badgers based on the latest revision of the boards from the store. I have adjusted everything based on the build guide and the CCS current, offset and bias are all where they should be. I am powering the board from a dual tracking supply (+-35 volts, that's as high as the supplies go) with current limited to 750mA. The board is drawing about 220 mA when idle and the heatsink is at 35 deg Celcius.

The problem is that when I connect a source (mp3 Player) I hear nothing, and see very little on the scope (besides about 40mvP-P noise). When I turn the volume all the way up, I barely hear a bit of music from the connected 8 ohm speaker (I am guessing I'd hear about as much if the board was just a pair of wires!)...Any ideas why?

BTW I am not using the D-BC optional diode. Do I need a jumper there, or should it be left open?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Bridge the jumper next to C1 - you have no input. Also , some say "LC" creates peaking (worse sound) .... remove.
Only a 3.5mm cap does not require the jumper - you have 5mm or 7.5mm

PS - do not jumper D-bc !!! Boom !
OS

Last edited by ostripper; 30th March 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 30th March 2014, 04:25 AM   #1017
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idooley View Post
I'm getting close to powering up my 3 honey badgers. For convenience reasons, I'd like to power them up initially using a smaller 33-0-33 VAC transformer, but plan on eventually using a larger 30-0-30 VAC transformer. Would this cause a problem? Would I need to readjust the bias, ccs, and offset adjustments upon changing power supplies, or are these settings independent of this change in rail voltages?

If it matters, I'm doing the 12V zener referenced cascode option.
Being CCS based , the badger is "rail tolerant" . All will be the same
from 30 - 70V.

OS
Old 30th March 2014, 05:22 AM   #1018
merlinx76 is offline merlinx76  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
Bridge the jumper next to C1...
I did that too!
Old 30th March 2014, 04:16 PM   #1019
BlinkBlankClunk is offline BlinkBlankClunk  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ostripper,

-I jumpered the input and the amp works

-Removed the LC cap though I can't hear any difference with my crappy homemade speakers :P I'll try to get a good tone generator and do some testing on the scope with and without the LC cap (was a 3+-0.25 mica)

-I figured about the clamp diode after having another look at the circuit. A jumper there would have indeed made a loud noise

Can't wait to hear these puppies on good speakers, so far they look great and sound very nice. Once again, thanks for the design (I learned a lot from you and others here) and the troubleshooting help.
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:31 PM   #1020
MASantos is offline MASantos  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hello,

has anybody tried using the honey badger with a good quality smps?
What would be the minimum W rating I should be looking if using a SMPS for this amp?

diyAB Amp  The "Honey Badger" build threadHide this!Advertise here!