Simple 100W power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"@djk how could i get more power out of this amp."

How much power?

What is it for?

Crown made the M600, M2000, MA10K all using the 2N3773.

The more outputs the more power (and a bigger power supply).

The M600 is a bridge amplifier.

The M2000 and MA10K are bridged bridge amplifiers (although the MA10K would only do 7KW continuous, 10KW on program material).

The M2000 was frequently used to generate a clean 120V/60hz for medical equipment.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to want an endless amount of power, I just thought I would show how the lowly 2N3773 can be used to make a 10KW amplifier (should you think you need one).
The 3773 is a good output device for one that is limited by 140Vceo.

let's start with a +-65Vdc supply, that allows for a bit of overvoltage for the mains electricity supply. That supply will allow a maximum output of ~60Vpk into a suitable load.
60Vpk into 1r0 is equivalent to 1800W.

Now design and build those 3773 into a +-65Vdc balanced amplifier.

We can expect 3600W into a 2r0 load.

If sufficient capacity is built into the amplifier it could even be designed using a lot of skill to drive a 1r0 load to ~7kW.

Is that close enough to 10kW?

But, I would never recommend putting all my assets into a one amplifier PA duty. I would much rather have seven or eight 1kW amplifiers driving the speakers for my paying audience.

"The 3773 is a good output device for one that is limited by 140Vceo.:

In the MA10K they are hand-selected to allow for the 163V it runs at.

I agree with the 'not all the eggs in one basket' principle too.

The raceway at Indianapolis uses 140V lines with 465 loudspeakers driven by racks of MA10K.

Thanks for the replies friends.

@djk- i got your point, more outputs more power which i know already

@gaetan8888- thanks a lot for your help. what i need to ask is adding more output trans. using the same circuit and same power supply which i have and build(uploaded the pics as well), what more changes(component values, transistors etc) i need to change.

@sakis- if you dont want posts originated from India then better not watch and post irrelevant to the subject or theme. I be a member of DIY to learn a lot and share little that i know.
Do you own DIY or DIY audio belongs to you. It seems a problem for you from where a member belongs. You should encorporate a filter or moderator not to allow people from India to be a member of DIY. I know that DIY is open for everyone no matter where you are from. I came here to learn, dont make this a bitter experience.

and I am not fond of car audio and car audio magazines.

"i m using a 30-0-30, 8 amp transformer "

With two pair of outputs that might get you as much as 120W/4Ω and power a second channel too.

You might get as much as 200W/2Ω; but that would need very good heatsinking, high-performance insulators, and you might consider a third pair of outputs.

I would use the TIPs rather than the BDs, and use 10Ω in their emitters rather than 100Ω.

Adjust the bias until you have 0.34V across the base of the outputs (the 10Ω resistors).

Thanks a lot djk
i would add a pair of output trans. and other changes you mentioned.

i must tell that i m driving a Pioneer TSW1208-D2(400W) Car subwoofer and Audiopro 4" tweeter rated at 50W, per channel for full range setup. I made my speakers using this setup

Attachments

• 13072011018.jpg
    13072011018.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 13072011021.jpg
    13072011021.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 13072011022.jpg
    13072011022.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 1,017
more power

i love statistics

I wonder if any moderator could actually "wash" through posts that originate from India where 9 out of 10 ask for more power

Is it DNA issue??? is it a local problem??? ( big amplifiers are too expensive ? ) who knows ....interesting though .....
hi sakis,
its not a DNA issue..big amplifiers are too esxpensive: true...but not a local problem..simply, we are new in this world and in starting everything is crude,big,blunt and powerful .Later it will be sophisticated,delicate,accurate and so called audiophile.Believe me when you are listening a 2000 watt rms audio system you are more inclined to feel thump than detecting it class ie.A,AB or B.At least my ears can not differentiate between classes of amp on higher volumes.
thanks

thanks formula 22,

you made my amplifier even better, i would do the changes and mention the results later.
Earlier in the original circuit i set the bias to 25mA, output shows only 1mV, amplifier is dead quiet, no hum, no hiss.

what could be the ideal bias setting as you have included a trimpot in the schematic you updated.

Regards,
Aniket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.