Unique way of muting for thump prevention, outside audio path.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My amp, the Low TIM, assembled with the Lightspeed attenuator was making a loud thump when the changeover relay for input selector was operating. The relay has 4 changeover contacts. I used it for selecting two inputs. I have many other relays but nothing to compete with this one's contact quality. It is siemens make and the contacts are still shining, after so many years.

So, I designed a logic that would cycle through mute-relay operation-unmute on input select signal and connected this to the lightspeed attenuator.

Now there is no thump issue. The process is slow and amp goes silent during its period.

I also designed the speaker relay contact spark inhibition as an additional feature.

The block diagram goes like this

edge detector---multiple pulse generator---driver---relay

Gajanan Phadte

Wouldn't it make more sense fix the actual problem (thumps) rather than putting an electronic Band-Aid on it? Thumps come from DC shifts but these can be controlled rather easily. I guess I'm being bratty but you haven't fixed the thumps, just made an elaborate muting system.

then ...its simple as that you need to find out if the thumb is relay related or source related ....

simple as that remove the plastic cover of the relay in order to be able to push the contacts to change source by hand with no actual power .... if you don't get any thumb means that the thumb is related to the power supply or configuration of the coil /relay

if you do get a thumb it means that excessive DC exists in your sources coming from any reason

check that and get back to us

kind regards sakis

in this case there is a very good chance that your amplifier and the way is implemented might "pick up " noises due to ground or chassis configuration

possible options is the rooting of RCA input ground and /or choice of ground lift or not

that will be the option to have the star ground of the power supply connected to the chassis or not

one other option can be to in a way terminate the input of your system with 47K to ground to see if this is going to change things for better or worst

also some pictures of your make might help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.