Switching loudspeaker with relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for some design advice for the selection of an appropriate relay and design strategy.

I'm planning to build a circuit to intercept a remote trigger signal and use it to switch a pair of loudspeakers, before passing the signal on to a power amplifier so that I can silence a power off discharge pop that I find annoying.

Does it make sense to switch between the loudspeakers and a dummy load so that the amplifier has somewhere to discharge to ?

When switching, does it make sense to try to use a make-before-break relay so that the amplifier always sees some kind of load when switching ?

Use normal relay and connect as shown.

Gajanan Phadte

Attachments

• sp relay.jpg
    sp relay.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 260
My recomendation would be not to put any contacts in the audio path as this would create more problems later, with relay contacts. I would suggest what Morden Short did with there speakers, and put a themistor across the input of the speakers. There will be some heat generated but you are less likely to blow your speakers up. will always be some sort of trade off. What Amp are you using, there may be a fix to stop the discharge. Are you able to turn the speakers off on the amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.