Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

why isnt my amp doing what its supposed to.
why isnt my amp doing what its supposed to.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 03:13 AM   #1
klampykixx is offline klampykixx  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default why isnt my amp doing what its supposed to.

hi guys. i bought a cheap amp off evilbay quite a few months ago. it was warranted out of the box and straight away i thought great, iv bought a chinese product and got a lemon. but, their service was great, more than happy to send me a replacement and ive been using it for quite a while.

my dig is this, its supposed to be 1000w/ch x4 @4ohm.and they claim thats RMS.

and my answer is NO WAY is it that powerful.

the stupid thing is this. i can attatch a bare 300wrms subwoofer to the output (4ohm) and start turning up the amp, the first lights start flashing (theres about 6, 4blue, 1 yellow and 1 red) and then the sub (barely moving) starts throwing out the most horrible distorted noise iv ever heard.

how common is it for an amp to go into clipping before its even at max power?

is there anyway around this?

and lastly, if im not running bass through it, and run my 8ohm Deltas on it, it can go quite loud, and supply enough power to really get them pumping. but not a bare 300w driver???

my technics 110wrms amp can push it to its excursion limits with ease, yet my 1000wrms amp cant.....

im pretty annoyed, coz i bought it as a full range 4ch amp, 2 for tops, and 2 for bass. yet it cant even push you-know-what up hill.

ill get some specs n brand info when i get home after work if that helps.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:06 AM   #2
djk is offline djk
R.I.P

Got what you paid for, did you?
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:25 AM   #3
sofaspud is offline sofaspud  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
starts throwing out the most horrible distorted noise iv ever heard.
Ahhh the sweet sound of budget class-D.
What kind of power supply are you using for the "4000Wrms" amp? When the lights dim and flash you can be pretty sure there's some serious current suckage happening.
I misunderstood... LEDs are level indicators. The question still applies, but more info would definitely help. Are you running from an active crossover?

Last edited by sofaspud; 23rd September 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the amp runs on mains power, not sure on the PSU inside it tho. only using two channels of the four, but it doesnt draw enough to dim the lights of the other stuff on the same power circuit.

its connected to my mixer, that runs through a behringer eq.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

are the subs particularly lowZ? perhaps the amp is rated for 16/8 ohms and doesnt like 2?
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:50 AM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
R.I.P.

1000W RMS is not an electrical engineering term, so maybe you should ask them what they mean by it. It might be a marketing term for rare brief isolated peak power in one channel only, or it might mean nothing at all.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thanks for the replies.

here is a link to the product info for my amp.

Technical Pro
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

when i bought the amp, the ad i remember reading said all those figures in RMS not peak. so now seeing that website and reading that all figures are peak, im guessing that the 350w @ 8ohm is probably more like 80w rms... so bugger it, im gonna put it on ebay, but before i do, is this a better proposition?

Dual Channel / Bridged 400W Rack Mount Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

why dont you look around the forum group buy section and vendors forum here? rather than taking another lucky dip in 'the bay' this would mean you buy a design that is tested and proven to work as designed
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hmmm good point. well, if i could get $300 that would be my budget to replace it with..

for now, its ok tho. it runs the speakers i use on it to the limit they can handle, but at that point the amp would be at about 95% duty cycle. so id like a little bit of headroom, but in saying this, its bridgable, and im not sure im bridging it properly.

am i right to say that to bridge two channels together, you need an input signal on both the bridged channels? in order to add the two outputs into one? im pretty sure iv tried to bridge two, with one input signal... lol....

ill have a look around in the vendor section here and see if anything tickles my fancy.

why isnt my amp doing what its supposed to.Hide this!Advertise here!