My new 1000W PA amp (pic post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JasonL said:
That kick's A** your useing to laptops : O)

BUt why not just use one and use winnamp and the crossfadder. And when some one requests a song dragg it into the cue. that is what we do. we have 2 200gig hdds in a sub enclosures dasy chained.. : O) never had a problem with it yet.

One reason, having two laptops or any other source allows you to listen to the track that is being cued up!!
Much better for beat matching etc.

BUt why not just use one and use winnamp and the crossfadder.

Of course Matth builds his own laptops too! (not seen in picture are the hoses under the table for the liquid nitrogen cooling)

I suppose that w/ 2 machines it increases the possibilities for samples and play over combinations.

Sorry to hear that your amp let the smoke out while it was burning in. I’m glad that you didn’t have the same issues I did with burning the coils off some JBL compression drivers.

I like the amp, very compact. I wish I could make my stuff smaller I don't think my back can take much more.

Thanks. Heh, I know what you mean about the weight, I'm 10 stone and I routinely heave around PA gear at college (Crown / Martin Audio), and at work (Peavey).

The little PA is doing vocal duty for a gig this weekend in fact. Makes a nice upgrade over the keyboard amp they were planning to use, especially considering it's outside!

See ya,
Tim.

JasonL said:
3 WORDS 4 U peecee LOVER.!! hahaha

Another reason for using two laptops is redundency, if a dodgy mp3 crashs the player or cuts out before time then the other laptop is there to fall back on.

When it comes to Mac vs PCs the only thing going for the macs is that there sexy.
I work with high end Intel servers and you can't knock the Wintel platform at this level, granted MS got to where it is today through good marketing rather than inovation but I sure Apple would have done the same had they had the foresight.
The fact that MS is viewed as less stable and easier to hack is just a result of is popularity and global coverage, if Apple had 1000's of two bit software developers writing applications then I'm sure the stability of Mac OS would be a little more suspect (can we say "Out of Memory"??).
If I want BSD then I'll run it on my cheap expandable fast IBM PC compatible hardware.

:) ;) :clown: :devilr:

The crappiest thing abuot pc's is that there are about 1500 manufactures out there per hard ware device example so many mother board manufactures and same with video card people.

with mac there is one company that makes the mother board. APPLe.
there is one place that build the prossessor
motorola or IBM ( g5's )

there are lots of nice pc's but when i think about it thre are more pc's that get infected with firuses or crash or die because of other software on the system. the nly good os that ms makes is windows 2000 after all the service packs are installed.

why would i want to buy a p4 2.0 gig to do the same job as a g4 500 can do. ; o)

i think itis just that people are jeliouse of the apple's market. and there to cheap to buy a nice machine that works flawless.

JasonL, Last time I was shopping for a PC a bought a Sony Vaio laptop, it looks great and has not given me one problem yet plus it is functional (I know thats not really important to you Mac users;) ).

Matttcattt said:
questions:

1) where did you get the toroids? (the 1kva ones)

2) how much were they?

3) where did you get the aluminium?

4) how much was it?

5) how did you cut it?

1&2) Stock clearance from Maplins for £29 each (should of bought more than 2 at the time)

3&4) RS componants (I have yet to find a local ALU dealer) and it was Bl***y expensive

5) Larger cuts were made with a sliding mitre saw with a metal cutting blade (I have used this to cut large heatsinks aswell with very good results) smaller cuts were made with a bandsaw.

matth said:
JasonL, Last time I was shopping for a PC a bought a Sony Vaio laptop, it looks great and has not given me one problem yet plus it is functional (I know thats not really important to you Mac users;) ).

1&2) Stock clearance from Maplins for £29 each (should of bought more than 2 at the time)

3&4) RS componants (I have yet to find a local ALU dealer) and it was Bl***y expensive

5) Larger cuts were made with a sliding mitre saw with a metal cutting blade (I have used this to cut large heatsinks aswell with very good results) smaller cuts were made with a bandsaw.

d**n, i was hoping you had found a local dealer :p also, as maplin dont sell toroids larger that 600VA now :(

Re: matth!

JojoD818 said:
Hello!

Nice to hear you only had a minor "glitch" on the amps. I have saved the pics of your speakers and stared at them for minutes... guess what? You have just given me an idea! I don't have a cd mixer but I have a PC! Never thought I can use this PC for mixing. Does winamp support cueing?

JojoD

The best way I found of doing this without an external mixer was to use a program called Atomixmp3 which supports multiple soundcards, in one of the configurations the additional soundcard can be used as a headphone monitor with the inactive palyer (there are two within the app) to cue and listen to songs.
WinAmp can't cue par say as any "enqueued" tracks will start from the beginning.
If you have a simple two line mixer then you can use two versions of WinAmp and two soundcards, each different instance of WinAmp can be tied to a purticular soundcard and through the headphone monitor on the mixer songs can be cued on either player!!
P.S. thanks for the kind words, how is your amp coming along??

so...

Matth,

I think I'll try that mp3 mixing stuff! Since I don't have the money to buy a cd player with cueing and pitch controls (I like the Denon), I'll put my attention to mixing mp3's! :nod:

Well, I'm still finishing my current project amp which uses only 2 pairs of OPS. I have tested it for mid-high capabilities and so far so good. I'm reserving the 500W for low to sub-low reinforcement.
Maybe I'll post the schematic and pcb as soon as I finish them for our fellow diyers.

Gee, thanks again for the idea (on the music mixing)! :clown:

Yepee! No need to buy cd mixer anymore! :devilr:

JojoD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.