capacitor upgrade for Focal 2.150 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, i have a pair of focal 2.150 car amplifiers, which are 150 ohms into 8 ohms. nice amps. out of curosity i opened up the amp and was quite dismayed to see unshielded toroid transformer (not in a shielded separate cabin to protect switching noise) no input big chokes on 12 Volts supplies and NO regulating chokes after step up voltage section..... i am making a comparison with old school amp like pioneer GM-4200.

At the moment i am just thinking to upgrade the stepped up voltage regulator capacitors.... it just have a bank of 2200uFx3 rated 35V on each side of the rail i.e. 6600uF whereas the old school amps have upto 3 times the regulator capacitor , a regulating choke and a greater operting voltage tolerance i.e 50V , my plan is to increase the capacitor bank by at least 3300uFx4 on each side of supply rail with a connecting cable .

Now ,y question is the high input rush current at startup, can i damage the diode rectifier bridge or the switching supply mosfets....or do i need to add an inductance coil in between. and btw would it make difference at loud passages and imrpove SQ.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.