List of the best sounding amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen somewhere a mention of a list of the best sounding amplifier created by a reputable audio magazine.
It seems that they put amplifiers into something like leagues: a league for the very best, one for the slightly inferior, etc..
This was done according to more or less subjective criteria not measurements results.

Does anyone know where I can find this list ?
Or where I can find the amplifiers considered world-class by the audiophile community according to semi-objective criteria like "transparency", "detail", "image", etc..

Its not like its an impossible question, you just left it too open ended.
One could for instance narrow it down by saying what is the best amp combo you heard with x or y speakers.... Or what is the best amp you heard in x or y price bracket, or with 4 channels or something along those lines....

Ok, maybe my question was not very clear.
What I meant was: what are the "stars" of the amplifier universe ? By "star" I mean "famous" amplifiers such that many audiophiles know about them and think they are good. Such "stars" get the best reviews in audiophile magazines, are considered references to which other amplifiers are compared, etc..

For example, "Mona Lisa" is a "famous painting", most of the plays by Shakespeare are "stars" of literature, etc..

Here is such a list

The Ten Most Significant Amplifiers of All Time | AVguide

1. Dynaco ST-70
  2. McIntosh MC3500
  3. Phase Linear 700
  4. Krell KSA-100
  5. Mark Levinson ML2
  6. Audio Research Reference 610T
  7. Conrad Johnson Premier One
  8. Carver Silver Sevens
  9. Audio Note Ongaku
  10. Cary CAD-805
Can't say I agree, but that is the nature of these things.

PS - there are actually a number of lists at this site under this title. The one above is just the first of many.

Last edited:
Here is such a list

1. Dynaco ST-70
  2. McIntosh MC3500
  3. Phase Linear 700
  4. Krell KSA-100
  5. Mark Levinson ML2
  8. Carver Silver Sevens
  9. Audio Note Ongaku
  10. Cary CAD-805

PS - there are actually a number of lists at this site under this title. The one above is just the first of many.

The list is the 10 most significant, i can agree with what is there ..... :drink:

Here is such a list

1. Dynaco ST-70
  2. McIntosh MC3500
  3. Phase Linear 700
  4. Krell KSA-100
  5. Mark Levinson ML2
  8. Carver Silver Sevens
  9. Audio Note Ongaku
  10. Cary CAD-805

Thanks, great list with comments about why they are considered legen - Wait For It! - dary

If you have more, please post them too !

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
'Electrocompaniet' didn't make it to USA ?

and how about the very first mosfet/tube hybrid in the world ?

I didn't see Nelson Pass mentioned either ?

and ST-70 first on everyones list..bloddy hell
well, I know its quite good, but honestly ?

and where is Roger Modjeski ?

'Electrocompaniet' didn't make it to USA ?

and how about the very first mosfet/tube hybrid in the world ?

I didn't see Nelson Pass mentioned either ?

and ST-70 first on everyones list..bloddy hell
well, I know its quite good, but honestly ?

and where is Roger Modjeski ?

The ST70 was an amp for the masses, in kit form most could afford one , i did at 11. I have had at least 6 of the amps on that list over the years, not all the best , but most can be considered standard bearers of some sort, for eg. the Phase linear was "OK" at best IMO, but it was the first affordable big rig power amp , the MAC, Krell and levinson became legendary in their time and the Cary was the best SET i have ever heard, by far , at that time ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.