Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Bimmer, it's a stereo unit. Since I was building a dual-mono amp, I was worried about the share of this component by the two channels. The cross-channel talk due to this component is negligible.

A.Wayne, my Hx amp has a power-on thump. It also has a power-off delay due to the DC voltage that depletes progressively as the caps discharge. When the speakers are directly connected to the boards, I can have music for as long as 30 seconds after disconnecting the unit, just because of the voltage reservoirs, or just a few seconds when it's playing louder...

Many high-ends or high-power power-amps have this kind of circuitry, either with electro-mechanical components (relays) or by other solid-state means.

This circuit may have saved my speakers already, I explain: I was connecting / disconnecting my speakers while music was playing (rather loud), and guess what? I briefly shorted the amp output without noticing. It blew only ONE of the on-board fuses, thus only throwing the negative portion of the sine-wave to the speaker. This protection crcuit instantly disconnected both speaker outputs, preventing any damage to the speakers themselves. After replacing the blown fuse, everything was back to normal.

Nota: I don't make any money by suggesting this (hahaha) :)
Martin.

my Hx amp has a power-on thump. It also has a power-off delay due to the DC voltage that depletes progressively as the caps discharge. When the speakers are directly connected to the boards, I can have music for as long as 30 seconds after disconnecting the unit, just because of the voltage reservoirs, or just a few seconds when it's playing louder...

My DX Blame does the same thing. A power-on thump, and a "burp" after a long delay after power-off. Maybe I should get me one of those protection circuits too.

Now I have the 2nd board also ready.
The wait is now on the postman, he must deliver 2 x MJE 15030 :)

The light is not good, therefore the photos not clear.

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• 20120126_162957.jpg
    20120126_162957.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 378
  • 20120126_163103.jpg
    20120126_163103.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 370
Status
Not open for further replies.