Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Separate IPS and OPS boards?
Separate IPS and OPS boards?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Neutrality is offline Neutrality  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Separate IPS and OPS boards?

Thinking about making an amp with separate input stage and output stage boards. Like the attached OPS.

Would make it easy to experiment with different Input stages.

Totally crazy? Any drawbacks?
Attached Images
File Type: png OPS.png (68.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 17th June 2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Pingrs is offline Pingrs  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

See OS(tripper) He does that!
Old 17th June 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
effebi is offline effebi  Italy
diyAudio Member

I like the idea and your PCB design (eagle?) . What about thermal compensation/bias adj? And V-I limiting?
Old 17th June 2011, 07:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by effebi View Post
I like the idea and your PCB design (eagle?) . What about thermal compensation/bias adj? And V-I limiting?
Yes, Eagle. There will be no V-I Limiting and the whole Vbe multiplier will be on the input stage boards. The Vbe transistor itself will be mounted on top of one of the output transistors.

It is just an idea for now but I quite like it.

Last edited by Neutrality; 17th June 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:13 PM   #5
effebi is offline effebi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
Yes, Eagle. There will be no V-I Limiting and the whole Vbe multiplier will be on the input stage boards. The Vbe transistor itself will be mounted on top of one of the output transistors.

It is just an idea for now but I quite like it.
My notes were driven from the fact that such a "modular" design would be useful in a PA-like amplifier ( a goal that I am pursung from a while ) and there some kind of protection might be necessary. One possibility would be to bring out as a measure point just the voltage across the two Re.The protection would be then demanded to another module, either the input itself or a dedicated one.

About the Vbe transistor, bringing it back to another module with wires, aside that not so "elegant" (complicate disconnection of the boards, etc) is prone to induce oscillations if wires are going to be likely long.
Maybe an approach with diodes (Leach-like) is preferable. Anyway Vbe is not an option.
So, as usual, a lot of design compromises... But please keep going, I believe your approach is very good!
BTW, why "bent" power resistors? Do you want to improve airflow from a fan?
Old 18th June 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by effebi View Post
My notes were driven from the fact that such a "modular" design would be useful in a PA-like amplifier ( a goal that I am pursung from a while ) and there some kind of protection might be necessary. One possibility would be to bring out as a measure point just the voltage across the two Re.The protection would be then demanded to another module, either the input itself or a dedicated one.

About the Vbe transistor, bringing it back to another module with wires, aside that not so "elegant" (complicate disconnection of the boards, etc) is prone to induce oscillations if wires are going to be likely long.
Maybe an approach with diodes (Leach-like) is preferable. Anyway Vbe is not an option.
So, as usual, a lot of design compromises... But please keep going, I believe your approach is very good!
BTW, why "bent" power resistors? Do you want to improve airflow from a fan?
Well I might end up dropping this idea for now and go with a more conventional one board design but for future designs it should be worth looking into.

Separate IPS and OPS boards?Hide this!Advertise here!