JFET input, MOSFET VAS, LATERAL output = Perfect!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andrew,

I'm beginning to suspect that increasing the size of the interstage filter caps, or rather adding another much larger one, would yeald better results that just adding more capacitance to the o/p stage PSU.

If we keep the feedback device current really clean that in turn will improve PSRR and looking at it another way . . . any noise in the i/p device is amplified about 20 x so reducing noise their pays a premium

it may be that your small series chokes will be enough but I would still recommend common mode chokes.

Last edited:
I read here that the RC time constants of the passive input filter and the NFB DC blocking filter and the PSU filter have to be in a crictical ratio to work effectively and avoid LF instability.

1.) PSU filter C in Farads * Speaker impedance in ohms >= sqrt(2) * NFB filter C * Lower leg R.
2.) NFB filter R*C >= sqrt(2) * Rin * input DC blocking filter.

Your increasing of the NFB CR is using the second of those "rules".

I have been doing this for quite a few years now and for me it clearly improves LF performance. The really nice bit is once these CR ratios are setup/built in, it is very easy to reduce the passive input CR to hear the effect of early bass roll-off without contravening those rules.

This one:

Attachments

• Capture-2.jpg
    Capture-2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 674
Supply rail filtering is different from amplifier gain filtering.
However, the four uF caps shown will all have an effect on bass performance.

Each must filter the modulation on the supply rails to a low enough value to be inaudible at the output for whatever range of signals you pass through.

I would expect variations in audio performance when any of those caps is made too low in value that the rail modulation leaks through to the output.

After some more research this diagram shows what I will be working towards over the next few weeks.

Both the i/p buffer and the o/p transistor "pairs" give better stability which means the amps should sound clean & smooth with less compensation.

But I am hoping for the biggest improvement from the separate supplies which give enormous gains in PSRR in the 100 - 1000 hz range.

Very soon I will be listening on my new IPL transmission line speakers which I'm just constructing :)

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/S3tl Rib CP.htm

Attachments

• current goal.jpg
    current goal.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 580
Hi Michael,

Thx for the idea, till now I have not heard of the B-1 N channel buffer but I will check it out.

I would want to somehow loose those caps though - I want to see just how good I can get the DC linked version to sound before I try other design philosophies.

I do have some N & P channels for now so why not use them !

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Michael,

Thx for the idea, till now I have not heard of the B-1 N channel buffer but I will check it out.

I would want to somehow loose those caps though - I want to see just how good I can get the DC linked version to sound before I try other design philosophies.

I do have some N & P channels for now so why not use them !

Then you would want the Symmetrical B1 Buffer ------------------------------ http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145201-building-symmetrical-psu-b1-buffer.html#post1854512

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The cfp is more linear and cfp by principle in singleton mode favours second harmonics, less current fluctuations your gain would increase so lower distortion is possible or you could lower this with more degeneration on the vas. You can also tune the harmonic spectrum via the collector cfp resistor. The current source on the input wouldnt be needed to clean up the bass, I cant remember now if it was you that mentioned the amp sounds muddled in the bass with complex music, thats the result of having very high second order distortion, it is only good for simple music.

When I added the i/p stage CCS it did sound much cleaner ( but I did not mention bass ) but I did not establish yet if that was principally due to lower HD or lower noise. When I add a separate supply for the i/p & VAS stages that question should be answered.

My VAS is constant current therefore degeneration has no effect.

thanks for the suggestion - I will try it.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.