quad 405-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I purchased a pair of quad boards from here :
DIY Stereo Audio Power Amplifier Assembled fr QUAD405 on eBay (end time 15-Mar-11 07:12:35 GMT)

1. Does anyone have experience of these, How do they compare against standard quad boards.

2. The first four luger-style connectors are identical to my quad boards: that is phono input, then speaker out, then -54volts, then +54 volts, unfortunatly there is a fifth luger connector labelled " gnd " which my quad boards do not have, i contacted the manufacturer who said it is the power ground, so i connected it to the smoothing capaitors of the power supply, when switching on i got massive distortion then both boards blew. Does anyone know where i went wrong.

Many thanks in advance. John.

The original QUAD405 pcbs picked up the 0V supply via the heatsink. The case of the 405 is at 0V, and is connected to the centre 0V point of the two large PSU electrolytic cpacitors.
How were you connecting the new board to the front heatsink? From the pictures it looks as if it would need a totally different 'T' or 'L' aluminium extrusion. Was your insulation ok between the transistors and the aluminium heatsink bracket?

There are quite a few threads already about this.

Search for Quad 405 clone

As far as I can tell, they are clones of the original 405 not the 405-2.

Coming from China (via the UK?) the quality of the components may be suspect especially with regard to voltages and power handling.

Andy

Edit... This is probably in the wrong forum. Should be in Solid State not Chip Amp.

Hi. Many thanks for the reply. I have put an attachment 405-2.jpg on to this post hope it comes through ok. There is a green wire running between the two smoothing capacitors of the power supply this is where i connected the 5 luger connector to labelled " gnd "

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.