Comments on Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook by Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
distortions that are hundred times smaller than the speaker distortion?

0.003% THD is normal now a days....do we need less than that?

Why?

regards,

Carlos

Electronic devices distortions are of a different type of the ones produced by mechanical transducers and has been proved that they are at least one order of magnitude more audible.
Moreover, THD is not all you have to measure on an amplifier.
If that 0.003% is 9th harmonic, it worries me.

Sorry Samuel, but I had to reply this.

Do you have any FFT at 20 kHz perhaps?

No, however it looks like the high-frequency distortion of the basic one-transistor VAS varies in magnitude only for the various transistors types. The relative magnitude of the harmonics seems to be nearly independent from transistor type. 2nd harmonic is dominant, with higher harmonics gradually falling in level.

Samuel

I wonder how many amplifiers designs would have low distortion if the standard test was an input of say 100 different frequency sinewaves at various levels, some harmonically related, and not only spurious frequencies but the deviation from all the ratios of input levels were measured? i.e. use something close to a standard music-like input instead of one or two sinewaves.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It would be more than interesting to see how that might be analysed and what you could learn.
As I recall, a comb filter has already been used in the distortion analysis of the output from multiple sinewaves and other mixed
signals in the Belcher Test and commented on by JLH and DS in their publications. Somehow, the technique seems to have dropped
below the horizon or been incorporated in other techniques in recent years.
There is some discussion here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.