Phase Linear 700 resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The right channel of my 700 is going gangbusters but the left is a tad lower. After recap I ordered a driver board transistor kit but perhaps the solid appearance of my carbon comp resistors is deceiving me. The 7.5k's on the left are baking hot. My problem is wattage of all resistors. Schematic says marked resistor is one watt and who knows about the small ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 139
The small ones are 1/2 watt - you can tell by the size. All 1/2 watt from that vintage are that size - modern ones are a lot smaller.

The 1 watters on those boards do get baking hot in normal operation. The PCB cooks over time, the traces can peel up form the board, and the solder joints can fail. Replace with a *2 watt* metal oxide type and space it up from the board so it can cool. And beef up the PCB traces with a piece of a resistor lead and fresh solder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.