Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Phase Linear 700 resistors
Phase Linear 700 resistors
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2011, 04:48 AM   #1
smallies is offline smallies  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Phase Linear 700 resistors

The right channel of my 700 is going gangbusters but the left is a tad lower. After recap I ordered a driver board transistor kit but perhaps the solid appearance of my carbon comp resistors is deceiving me. The 7.5k's on the left are baking hot. My problem is wattage of all resistors. Schematic says marked resistor is one watt and who knows about the small ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0603.JPG (152.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 28th January 2011, 05:46 AM   #2
stratus46 is offline stratus46  United States
diyAudio Member

Typical schematics may say something like 'All resistors 1/2 Watt unless noted' or 'All capacitors 0.1uF unless noted'. Be very suspicious of carbon resistors running 'baking hot'. Very often they change values downward until something fails.

G
Old 28th January 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

The small ones are 1/2 watt - you can tell by the size. All 1/2 watt from that vintage are that size - modern ones are a lot smaller.

The 1 watters on those boards do get baking hot in normal operation. The PCB cooks over time, the traces can peel up form the board, and the solder joints can fail. Replace with a *2 watt* metal oxide type and space it up from the board so it can cool. And beef up the PCB traces with a piece of a resistor lead and fresh solder.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh Hell yes! thanks!
Old 29th January 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Is this right?

So the choice for the 1/2 watters was 9 cents for xicon and 32 cents each for koa. Carbon film through hole. Am I done yet? I got the koa
Old 16th February 2011, 03:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default offset trim pots

These 100k and 50k trim pots are confusing to replace. Can anyone point me in even an aproximate right direction?

Phase Linear 700 resistorsHide this!Advertise here!