Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Step up transformer on p channel follower
Step up transformer on p channel follower
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
AudioGeek is offline AudioGeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Step up transformer on p channel follower

i want to run a P channel follower as input buffer on a se class a mosfet amp. Similar to the Pass design of using the Zetex ZVP3310 with a 47K resistor on gate and just a load resistor to the power supply to bias the mosfet to correct current. sooo... 20v supply - 3.5v drain to source drop is 16.5v / say 100mA is 165 ohm resistor.

think is i want to switch out this resistor for a step up transformer. specifically a 1:10. if the primary dc resistance is not 165 can i add a resistor in series to make up the difference??

also, if the secondary of this transformer is driving say a irfp240n gate and no resistor load is connected across the secondary... how do i figure out the Z ratios of this transformer? and also what the minimum primary L should be?

simulating this seems like 1H is minimum and 1K secondary resistance is max.

thanks for any help.
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request

Hello Richard,

Is your circuit comparable to Susan Parker's Zeus amplifier?
She is using N channel fets in a PP source follower configuration, and an interstage step-up transformer in the sources with a step-up ratio for voltage amplification ahead of the power stage, but the idea might be the same?

Pieter
  Reply to this post

Step up transformer on p channel followerHide this!Advertise here!