Nakamichi Stasis PA-5E MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Nakamichi PA-5E MkII.
The mains power fuse blows the second I switch the amplifier on.

I cannot see anything wrong inside the amp: no burned components, no appearent cold solder joints.

Do anyone have any idea on how I should proceed on this?

Thanks, Espen

If there are internal fuses on the +/- rails for each channel then replace them with 10W 47-100 ohm resistors - on both channels. That will allow you to measure and compare quiescent currents. If the mains fuse still blows then you probably have a short cct bridge rectifier. You should be able to check the BR's in cct with a DMM.

A blown bridge is pretty common with an old amp.

If there are internal fuses on the +/- rails for each channel then replace them with 10W 47-100 ohm resistors - on both channels. That will allow you to measure and compare quiescent currents. If the mains fuse still blows then you probably have a short cct bridge rectifier. You should be able to check the BR's in cct with a DMM.

A blown bridge is pretty common with an old amp.

Really? I find that to be a pretty rare failure - at least in the US.

I have a Nakamichi PA-5E MkII.
The mains power fuse blows the second I switch the amplifier on.

I cannot see anything wrong inside the amp: no burned components, no appearent cold solder joints.

Do anyone have any idea on how I should proceed on this?

Thanks, Espen

Could be

The mains transformer,
Shorted bridge or diodes,
Shorted output transistors,
shorted filter caps (usually quite rare),

regards
Trev

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.