200W Lateral Mosfet Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more questions...

Thanks for your reply. I think so too. I'm plannig to drive this subwoofer http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm .
So I build two of Lateral Mosfet Amplifiers and bridge them. I know the problem is too small transformer but I will try it :p
How much would I get bridged into 8ohm with that transformer?
I also have two 2*40/150VA transformers. Can I use them with the "main" transformer (2*38/550VA)? Any problems?

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
a 38 rms will get you 53vdc on the rail. Knock 10v off for ops inefficiencies and power supply droop, 40v peak on the load is reasonable. That translates into 140W RMS output on an 8 ohm load.

bridging will double the output in theory. also, don't forget about power dissipation on the output devices (~80w).

A trick to get a little bit more power is to drive the gates of the power mosfet's 5-10 volts above the supply rails. How? Feed the driver with 10-20 volts more than the mosfet's. The easiest way to do this is simply to add voltage from a small transformer at each rail. Don't forget to add diodes from the VAS stage to the power rails. This is for a cleaner clipping. When clipping accur the driver won't saturate.

With this trick you can get up to 370 Watts or so, 2-3 dB if we sound level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.