Bose 1800 professional power station questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have recently acquired two Bose 1800 professional power station series three. The amps are for overseas 230v @ 50hz. I have a power converter for them but I cannot find any information on them and yes I have googled it all I come with is info on series II and VI. If anyone has any info on them I would greatly appreciate it. My main question is are the bridgeable? Is there any way to test bridge it with out damaging the amp or speakers. I will be driving two Peavey SP4 and two SP2

Thanks

The 1800s are 250W per channel into 8R or 400W per channel into 4R. There is no bridge facility per se, whether you want to try and reverse the channel 2 phase and mono-link the 2 inputs (which is what a bridge switch will do) is up to you.

The 1800 amps I've seen here (UK) have the facility to rewire the mains transformer for 110V use by moving the faston connectors on the transformer, you also have to change the MDL5A fuse (220V) to MDL10A for 110V use.

110V use: link 1-3 and 2-4. Mains in on 1 and 2

220V use: link 0-1 and 2-3, mains in on 1 and 4

The 1800s are 250W per channel into 8R or 400W per channel into 4R. There is no bridge facility per se, whether you want to try and reverse the channel 2 phase and mono-link the 2 inputs (which is what a bridge switch will do) is up to you.

Thanks for the quick reply kevvywevvywoo

I understand the 2nd channel needs to be inverted 180 but I'm not shure how to accomplish this Would this work to reverse the phase on the 2nd channel?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Should work, not familiar with this version of the amplifier (and it's been 11yrs since I worked there.) Note that in bridge mode you should not use a speaker of less than 8 ohms impedance.

Oh, and it goes without saying you'll get an obscene amount of power - make sure that whatever you connect this to can handle at least 1kW.

yes that will do it provided the inputs are balanced and not unbalanced & referenced to the same ground at source or input, since you would otherwise just be shorting them both out unless you can isolate them somehow.

I'd say you will get around 600W bridged into 8 ohms if you can manage the connections.

I also have an 1800 series 3 that I bought on ebay. I'm hoping you can help me with a small problem. The amp works just fine except the fan goes to high speed after a few minutes even without an input signal. The noise from the fan is a little annoying. I bought the amp because I have an 1801 that I really like and the 1800 I had hoped would be as good. Bose is having trouble helping me: at first they said there was no such thing as a series 3 and now they say there was but not on this continent.
A wiring diagram , service manual, or some good advice would be pretty refreshing at this point.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.